cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Standalone 9500 Upgrade from Fuji 16.9.x to Gibraltar 16.12.x

keith.giles
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to upgrade from IOS 16.9.3 to 16.12.4 to resolve an SNMP bug.

However, all the documentation I am finding seems to apply to stacked switches. 

Our 9500s are not stacked. 

I did find one article that talked about using ISSU mode, but I am not familiar with that or if it works on standalone switches. 

Maybe I am overthinking it. Shouldn't it be copy new IOS to flash, and then run through install commands?

Or if not, where might I find the instructions to properly perform this type of upgrade?

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

For S/A you can limit the procedure to this info :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-9500.html#id_77762

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for your reply.

Looking over the instructions, I am having a hard time determining whether they are using only 'request software platform' commands or 'install' commands, or both.

It's my understanding we would want to use install commands only as the request software platform commands are being deprecated. 

- I would just follow the procedure starting from step 1) 'request platform' ,may  get depreciated (later), but is mentioned , so just follow step-by-step.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Ok, I see. So you're saying it would be fine to proceed with request software commands? There would no need to use the separate install commands? 

It does appear there are two reloads using request software, whereas install is only one reload, correct?

Also a side question: Is it possible to use ISSU if a switch is standalone?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No not like traditional way, more of archive install new method, here is the upgrade guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-9500.html

high level  :

1. read the relase notes and understand the bugs

2. take backup config out of the box

3. required maintenance window, switch reboots.

4. check the space of flash if not clear the packages as mentioned in the document.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you. Starting to make more sense due to you guys replies. 

I don't think ISSU mode applies to me because I'm using standalone switches?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I need to know the exact model of the 9500.

There are two commands:  One command for the "regular" 9500 and the other is for the "high-performance" model.

The model is C9500-48Y4C

I believe these are the high-performance switches

Read Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.12.x

Because you're going from 16.9.X to 16.12.X, ISSU should be supported.

Thanks - from what I was reading, it appears ISSU only works with stacked/HA switches. Can it work with standalone devices?

I'll be frank, I'm not sure -- I've never tried ISSU.  

All my upgrades are the "traditional" method.  

Gotcha, same here. I'll have to lab that one day.

Do you have a preference between the "install" commands and the"request software" commands considering the upgrade path from 16.9.3 to 16.12.4?

High-performance will only accept the "install" command.  
The "request platform" will not be accepted.