cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tomcat error - SocketException: Too many open files

John Gooch
Level 1
Level 1

I periodically get this error in Tomcats CiscoWorkds Home/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log file. The symptom occurs after logging in and opening any page on the CiscoWorks Web portal ( eg Common Services ). Several applets fail to load, and I'll see the error included in the attached file come up repeatedly after each page refresh.

After quite a bit of research, I found many recommendations to increase the ulimit for files, using the "ulimit -n" command. I've upped it to "unlimited" and thne problem continues to reoccur.

Here's my environment:

LMS 3.2

Solaris 10 (patched up to the April 2011 CPU )

64 bit SPARC processor

Java Runtime Engine 1.5.0_28

Any more ideas? This might be a case where I need to increase a max network connections setting for each of the Tomcat applications. I've never done that, but that's my best guess.

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The dmgtd script sets the number of files for casuser processes.  Setting the limit outside of dmgtd will not be helpful.  Tomcat should not be running out of file descriptors.  When the problem happens again, post the output of pfiles for the Tomcat PID (use pdshow to find the PID for Tomcat).  There may be a file descriptor leak somewhere.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: