Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunning APIC-EM

JPvisltgb
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

We started to use APIC-EM for massive hardware lifecycle and now we have more that 1000 devices in inventory. 

APIC-EM server is a VM : 12 vCPU's, 64 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD. APIC-EM Version 1.6.3.30018.  However after about 700 devices are being provisioned system performance started to degrade. Now I see that  CPU is 100 % and RAM almost 100% in use.

Question: is there way to tune APIC-EM? Turn off all services except PNP, device discovery and device inventory? 

Another question might be related to that issue : As number of APIC-EM administrators increased so someone removed Project with 70% of all provisioned devices and now all these devices are in Unclaimed state. Is there way to bring them back via API somehow ? 

8 Replies 8

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

I can't help with your performance question, but I would instinctively say no. @aradford might be able to advise when he's online.

Regarding the the lost project issue. If you do a GET /pnp-search with a 'state': 'UNCLAIMED', do the device objects contain a 'site' object referencing the old project name? If so, try recreating the old project with exactly the same name and it *may* repopulate. 

I had a similar experience with APIC-EM when I was using it a while back, and it seemed very sloppy in the way it tidied objects when parent groups where removed:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/automation-and-analytics/devices-in-projects-stale-entries/td-p/3474062

...you might be lucky!

cheers,

Seb.

Unfortunately this doesn't work. I created same project name but all devices appeared in Unclaimed state.

So I was able to add Unclaimed device  to Project from API using :  POST /pnp-project/{projectId}/device. I was using payload '

[{"serialNumber": "FCW2XXXXXX", "hostName": "switch-1", "platformId": "WS-C2960L-48PS-LL", "state":"PROVISIONED"}]

But state of this devices changed to Error  - "ERROR_DURING_TRUSTPOINT_PROVISIONING"  I'm wonder is there a way to change this status to Provisioned ? 

I tried to update device using  PUT /pnp-project/{projectId}/device using payload : 

[{"state":"PROVISIONED",
"stateDisplay":"Provisioned",
"id":"558590ef-50dc-4f7c-b6a5-XXXXXXXXX"}]

But nothing changed. 

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

re performance.  What is the Disk IO?

Most of the issues i have seen have been IO related.

If you run the following command on the APIC-EM CLi.  you should get the disk IO.  Below is a bad example of 23M of IO.

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1M count=512 conv=fdatasync

512+0 records in
512+0 records out
536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 23.7006 s, 22.7 MB/s

Got this:

512+0 records in
512+0 records out
536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 1.19586 s, 449 MB/s

I think it is not too bad.

Yeap… that looks fine. Just needs to be more than 200M.

I have customers who have loaded > 1000 switches with pnp.

Can you open a TAC case?

I tried, but I don't have support contract for that. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: