Views
Helpful
Replies

unique identifier for alerts in LMS database

anuradha.c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to figure out an alert(fault) uniquely from CiscoWorks LMS database. The Fault_Alert_History view exposes Device_Name, Alert_Id, Alert_Category, Status, Severity and Alert_Update_Time details. The Alert_Id field is not unique as i can see the same alert id for different types of alerts. Please let me know how can i get a unique identifier for any alert.

Thanks,

Anuradha

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alert_Id plus Status should be unique.  That said, an alert is actually composed of multiple events.  So there will appear to be duplicate entries, but they all refer to the same alert.  If you did:

SELECT DISTINCT(Alert_Id) FROM Fault_Alert_History

You would get just the individual alerts.  If you want the specific events that compose an alert, look at the Fault_Event_History view and the Event_Id.

Our requirement is to track down complete life cycle of alert raised in CW LMS. This view contains alert's last update time. How can we determine when a particular alert first raised ? Is theer any other way to fetch alert information from CiscoWorks LMS(other than the GUI) ?

My point was that you would probably be better off tracking Events rather than Alerts.  Events are atomic faults in the network where as an Alert attempts to roll up all events for a particular device.  If you track Events, the Event_Update_Time will reflect the time the event occurred (i.e. was created).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card