Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
eddysamson
Beginner

Usbflash vs. flash

Hello all I have a 1921 router with IOS 15.2 that I am trying to get the anyconnect .pkg installed on. I have made a thread on this here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3769346

although it has died out. What I need now is some help on how to switch between my two flashs on this router. I have flash: and usbflash0: and the problem seems to be that whenever I run the "copy tftp flash" command it uploads the file by default to my usbflash0 which I cannot install the anyconnect .pkg from.

I have been having some trouble finding how to switch to the flash, can anyone shed some light on this?

13 REPLIES 13
Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

Here's the difference:

1.  "flash:" is the compact flash (CF).  I believe for the ISR G2, the CF is "hidden" inside a metal clasp which can easily be access using the tip of a pen (not an expensive fountain pen).

2.  "usbflash0:" or "usbflash1:" is the external USB memory stick or thumb drive.

You can copy file(s) to-and-from the USB stick to the CF without any issues (as long as the CF and the USB memory stick are supported by the router).

You can also boot from a USB stick either from the CLI or from ROMmon. 

Thanks for the reply. I thought thats what it meant by usbflash...the problem? We have nothing in our USB slot. How does it work then?

Results for 'show file system' for reference:

Also what would the command to switch a file from usbflash0 to flash look like?

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

How does it work then?

Stick a valid USB stick in and run the most basic command:  dir usbflash0:

Also what would the command to switch a file from usbflash0 to flash look like?

If you want to copy a file from the USB stick to the flash, the command is:  copy usbflash0:filename.extension flash:

NOTE:  Don't forget the ":" at the end.

I haven't put a USB stick in yet, but running the command 'dir flash:' gives me usbflash0: results. Will this change with a USB stick? I guess I am just confused as to why it uses usbflash0: instead of flash: when there isn't a USB stick connected. It just doesn't make logical sense!

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

but running the command 'dir flash:' gives me usbflash0: results.

That's incorrect.  The command "dir flash:" will give you the output of the on-board flash of the appliance. 

How can I be wrong when that is exactly what I'm seeing? The proof:

results for 'dir usbflash0:'

and the results for 'dir flash:'

Not only does it show the same files but instead of saying "Directory of flash:/" it says "Directory of usbflash0:/"

Is this something that will change when I insert a USB stick?

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

Not only does it show the same files but instead of saying "Directory of flash:/" it says "Directory of usbflash0:/"

Is this something that will change when I insert a USB stick?

I've never seen a bug like this before.  What is the IOS you are running?

See if you get the same result with the command "dir flash1:"?

'dir flash1:' did not work. The router is running IOS 15.2

So you think this is a bug? I guess that would make sense as this issue really hasnt made any logical sense to me.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

'dir flash1:' did not work.

Of course it wouldn't work.  I'm a nut-case.

Sorry for giving you the wrong advice.  

I think it's a bug.

What can I do about that? Update to a new version of IOS or perhaps go back to an older version?

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

Update to a new version of IOS or perhaps go back to an older version?     

Upgrade won't hurt.

If that doesn't work am I pretty much out of luck with this particular router?

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

If that doesn't work am I pretty much out of luck with this particular router?

Not really.  It's just a nuisance.  Not alot of people know-how or use the USB mechanism.