cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan 1

future12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi configure my pc with a static ip 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 and save it.

configure switch vlan 1 

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

no shutdown 

exit

I was able to ping the switch virtual interface with results 0% packet loss but destination unreasonable. What I'm doing wrong?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Well, you should share the config here. show running-config, show ip int br, sh run int vlan 1

I know you looked into it, but sometimes we miss something that others can see.

One reason ping could not be complete would be Access list but you probably did not configure it on switch. Then, the last thing to consider is that the ping does not leave your machine and the pessage is coming from your machine and not switch.

Make sure you dont have  more than one interface and the ping are leaving through the right one.

View solution in original post

Yes I was going in the direction that @Flavio Miranda went next. Can you also show the output of the 0% loss message you get. 

Reply from XXX.XXX.XXX.X : Destination Host Unreachable" 0% Packet Loss <- those XXXs are the IP address that responded and it could be the PC and not the switch.

-David

future12
Level 1
Level 1

I have a USB 3.0 network adapter to Rj45 connection. Could the adapter be causing this issue. There's no exclamation mark in device manger indicating there's a problem.

12 Replies 12

It is packet tracer? You can add the file here zipped.

But, "unreasonable" does not exist. You may see "Unreachable".  Which means, the packet can reach the destination.  But, for your setup, you actually should be able to ping. 

Hello,

Did you configure the default gateway on the PC to be 192.168.1.2?

And did you just configure an IP address on the switch or did you create the interface vlan 1 and assign the IP to that?

It should work though.

-David

No router is involved in the setup for the default gateway. I'm not using packet tracer. I did create a vlan 1 interface with the ip address 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 . This is standalone 2960 switch.

Can you show the running config? And the IP information of the PC with ipconfig /all as well as the "Destination host unreachable" messages.

I ran the ipconfig command and I verified the Ipv4 address static ip 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0

I ran ip interface brief command to verify interface vlan 1 ip address 192.168.1.2, yes manual up, Protocol up. I'm using a lap top no a pc as a mention earlier. I'm following the instructions from Cisco introduction to networks lab manual. I just don't understand the destination unreachable response with no packet loss.

Also show running-config displaying interface vlan ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

Well, you should share the config here. show running-config, show ip int br, sh run int vlan 1

I know you looked into it, but sometimes we miss something that others can see.

One reason ping could not be complete would be Access list but you probably did not configure it on switch. Then, the last thing to consider is that the ping does not leave your machine and the pessage is coming from your machine and not switch.

Make sure you dont have  more than one interface and the ping are leaving through the right one.

future12
Level 1
Level 1

Okay I will try again to figure this out. I purchase my lab kit from ciscocampus and it's brand new. I don't save the running config and just learning the commands from ccna v6 text books and reading the material. I have( 2) 2960 switches and (3) 1921 routers

Yes I was going in the direction that @Flavio Miranda went next. Can you also show the output of the 0% loss message you get. 

Reply from XXX.XXX.XXX.X : Destination Host Unreachable" 0% Packet Loss <- those XXXs are the IP address that responded and it could be the PC and not the switch.

-David

future12
Level 1
Level 1

Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 192.168.1.10: Destination host unreachable 

future12
Level 1
Level 1

I have a USB 3.0 network adapter to Rj45 connection. Could the adapter be causing this issue. There's no exclamation mark in device manger indicating there's a problem.

future12
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Flavio and David for your assistance. You guys were right the issue wasn't the switch it was the lab top. I had to create a ip address for my ethernet 2 connection for the realtek network adapter.