Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan in Switchport and trunk - CCNA

I am working through CCNA Vlan design.

Just got to the part where you add a Vlan for voice.  Checking the sh int switchport that looks good with the voice vlan showing

Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: static access
Operational Mode: down
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: negotiate
Negotiation of Trunking: Off
Access Mode VLAN: 10 (testing1)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Voice VLAN: 50 (voice)

BUT when I check the sh int trunk the Vlans do not show here?  Why is this?

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
Fa0/2 off negotiate other 1

Port Vlans allowed on trunk
Fa0/2 none

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Fa0/2 none

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
Fa0/2 none

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

what's wrong in this section ?

Operational Mode: down
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: negotiate
Negotiation of Trunking: Off

is cable and phone plugged in correctly? is this Cisco phone? is cdp enabled on switch and switchport ?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

We could solve this for you but then you will not learn anything; what's purpose in that?

if this is a PT lab, you can attach PT file here but it must be in zip format.  ****

We have not seen the actual configuration but based on the original post I am assuming that Fa0/2 is configured as an access port in vlan 10 and configured with voice vlan 50. With this configuration it enables 2 vlans to operate on the port. I believe that the original poster is working with the assumption that when more than one vlan is operating on a port that it is a trunk. In general that is a good assumption but voice vlan is a special case. Voice van does allow 2 vlans on the port but it is not treated as a trunk. That is the reason why show interface trunk does not show trunking on Fa0/2

HTH

Rick

Operational Mode: down  < that's not good; I think Cisco call voice port as "mini trunk" , so it is a sort of trunk port.  but you are correct it does not appear in show int trunk.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **