cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the meaning of Blocking and non-blocking switch.

Hello Bros',

Recently I have heared the "Blocking" and "non-Blocking" switch.

from side of switch throughput and port speed, wat does this means?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It has a couple of meanings.  The two usual ones are defined in the reference Marce100 provided although that reference's HOL blocking, isn't fully correct, such as its discussion of out-of-order packets.

Basically, a switch which does not have resources to support all its ports, concurrently, at full rate, will "block" some traffic.  For example, the Cisco 3750G series had a 32 Gb fabric, but could provide 24 or 48 gig copper ports.  For the fabric to not every block, it would need either 48 or 96 Gb fabric.  (If you don't exceed 16 Gb, ingress, you wouldn't block, either.  BTW, fabric bandwidths, at least by Cisco, are provided as full duplex bandwidths.)  The (about the same time?) 4948, for comparison, with 48 gig copper ports, does have a 96 Gb fabric.

HOL blocking comes about because of the architecture of a switch.  Without getting into switch architectures, a simple "real world" example might help explain the issue.

Ever been in a single line of traffic, where a vehicle at the "head of the line" is making a left, but is waiting on on-coming traffic?  I.e. the road ahead is clear, but traffic is blocked.  However, if the road had a left turn lane, other traffic would not be blocked.  I.e. road architecture creates or mitigates this issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://howdoesinternetwork.com/2015/what-is-a-non-blocking-switch#:~:text=Non%2Dblocking%20switch%20means%20the,line%20blocking%20(HOL%20blocking).

and or that may already be informative as to explaining the difference between blocking and none-blocking.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It has a couple of meanings.  The two usual ones are defined in the reference Marce100 provided although that reference's HOL blocking, isn't fully correct, such as its discussion of out-of-order packets.

Basically, a switch which does not have resources to support all its ports, concurrently, at full rate, will "block" some traffic.  For example, the Cisco 3750G series had a 32 Gb fabric, but could provide 24 or 48 gig copper ports.  For the fabric to not every block, it would need either 48 or 96 Gb fabric.  (If you don't exceed 16 Gb, ingress, you wouldn't block, either.  BTW, fabric bandwidths, at least by Cisco, are provided as full duplex bandwidths.)  The (about the same time?) 4948, for comparison, with 48 gig copper ports, does have a 96 Gb fabric.

HOL blocking comes about because of the architecture of a switch.  Without getting into switch architectures, a simple "real world" example might help explain the issue.

Ever been in a single line of traffic, where a vehicle at the "head of the line" is making a left, but is waiting on on-coming traffic?  I.e. the road ahead is clear, but traffic is blocked.  However, if the road had a left turn lane, other traffic would not be blocked.  I.e. road architecture creates or mitigates this issue.

Thank you all o much for the useful information, all appreciated.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: