cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which versions of Window can perform best with CiscoWorks?

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Please advice that currently we have 3200 logical devices configured on CiscoWorks and CiscoWorks is running very very slow. CiscoWorks installed on server with Windows Server 2003 32-bit and this version of windows it can only support RAM up to 4GB, which is already installed. In order to increase the RAM we have to upgrade the windows version as well.

Please advise that which versions of Window can perform best with CiscoWorks.  E.g. Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Standard Edition 64-bit: or Windows server 2008 etc. Please advise us the full windows release version as we will upgrade windows as per your suggestion.

We are currently using the LMS 3.2, RME 4.3.0, CM 5.2.1

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd go for the LINUX version of CW.  Less hassle with the OS.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please refer to the Installation Guide for Windows server requirements. Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/install/guide1/prereq.html#wp1099303

Given that you want to stay with Windows Server, Server 2008 Standard Edition with service Pack 2 would be your best choice.

NOTE that your should not (and cannot) use Server 2008 R2. That version in only supported with LMS 4.0.1. LMS 3.2 will not work with Server 2008 R2.

With a 64-bit OS, you can increase your RAM - which is usually constraining system performance on systems with 32-bit OS. I recommend just putting in 16 MB. Why skimp on $100 RAM with $20,000 software?

Your other alternative is to divide the server roles across several machines. That is a pretty complex task so I'd do the OS and RAM upgrade first and see how that helps you out.

Re "Linux" LMS 3.2 (and 4.0/4.0.1) is only supported on Windows and Solaris operating systems. Plus if you're not a Uniux admin, the learning curve can be steep for your first dip in the water.