cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC configuration (Packet Tracer)

Jorrie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I would like to ask for advice regarding the initial configuration of the WLC the problem that I encounter is that when I assign the VLAN 20 in the Management VLAN ID I won't be able to access the WLC anymore. But if I add another connection(ex. G1/0/4 of the switch to GigabitEthernet 2 of the WLC) and configure the G1/0/4 as access port of VLAN 20 and change the value of Manage VLAN ID to "1" I can access the WLC GUI which is confusing on my part. (Note* I already tried changing the Management VLAN which is VLAN 20 to native and it works and for some reason, I don't want to use my management VLAN as a native VLAN). Is there any possible way to solve this problem? I attach in this post my project in packet tracer and the version I'm using is 8.0.1

263050002_312554634056796_4694798224498091537_n.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I think it is one f the limitations of Packet Tracer. You are (obviously) not dealing with a 'real' WLC, but rather a subset of IOS commands. There is no Vlan 0 in real networking environments.

What, if any, instructions are you following ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

enter 0 in Management VLAN ID, see message when you move over to "?" (? next to Management vlan entry box?.   I think is this same issue as described in very recent post.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Hi, sorry if my post is confusing. What I'm trying to do in my project is to create a dedicated VLAN for managing networking devices. I tried a different kind of approach, I have already researched and watched a tutorial on how to configure a WLC but most of it their VLAN are set to native VLAN and for some reason, I don't want to use my Management VLAN as a native. For the Management VLAN ID  description on the initial configuration of WLC, it is stated that use 0 for untagged VLAN and nonzero value for tagged VLAN which is confusing on my part. If I assign a VLAN ID which is 20 to become a tagged VLAN I won't be available to access the WLC. I'm beginning to suspect that this is a bug in packet tracer but I'm still hoping that I just misconfigure it

Hello,

I think it is one f the limitations of Packet Tracer. You are (obviously) not dealing with a 'real' WLC, but rather a subset of IOS commands. There is no Vlan 0 in real networking environments.

What, if any, instructions are you following ?

Hi, Thanks for the explanation. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card