Helpful
Replies

ASA Redundant Interfaces

Geminorum_cco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

and thanks for a great forum!

I have one asa and two switches, i would like the asa set up with a redundant interface consisting of one physical interface in each switch (vlan trunked across the two switches). Now... Is it possible to set a preferred active physical interface in this redundant interface bundle? Is there a way to make sure the same interface is always active (both interfaces a working as intented), even after a reboot?

More specifically, i need this so i can decide where to establish my stp root, and always have the most optimal path (again ofcourse unless one interface fails).

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sokakkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I see that you want to configure redundant interface on ASA and also need to ensure that same interface always remain active. Now, the interface which you will defined first using 'member-interface' command while configuring redundant interface will be the active one by default. If you already have it configured and you want to change the active interface, you can use following command:

To change the active interface, enter the following command:

hostname# redundant-interface redundantnumber active-member physical_interface

Now, if active interface goes down, second one will take over as expected.

Check this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1045838

Hope this answers your question.

-

Sourav

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sokakkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I see that you want to configure redundant interface on ASA and also need to ensure that same interface always remain active. Now, the interface which you will defined first using 'member-interface' command while configuring redundant interface will be the active one by default. If you already have it configured and you want to change the active interface, you can use following command:

To change the active interface, enter the following command:

hostname# redundant-interface redundantnumber active-member physical_interface

Now, if active interface goes down, second one will take over as expected.

Check this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1045838

Hope this answers your question.

-

Sourav

Hi sokakkar!

Thanks you

Cheers.

No problem! :-)

-

Sourav

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card