cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5506-K9 vs ASA5506-FTD-K9

Jens Galsgaard
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering what the difference between the two are.

Does an ASA5506-K9 installed with the FTD image become an ASA5506-FTD-K9?

Regards,

Jens

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Jens,

The short answer is that the only difference is the software installed. 

The long answer is that Firepower Threat Defence image only supports smart licensing, where the ASA with Firepower services support both classic licensing and smart licensing.

ASA5506-K9 includes a control license to be installed as a classic license. (or migrated to smart licensing)

ASA5506-FTD-K9 has to retrieve all licenses on the smart licensing portal.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/roadmap/firepower-licenseroadmap.html

You should notice that not all features from the ASA is supported in the Firepower Threat defense image.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich Uline
Level 1
Level 1

Jens,

Based on what I could find, 'ASA5506-FTD-K9' is not currently a valid SKU, but may have been when the the Firepower Threat Defense feature was first introduced. The SKU for the 5506-X is currently listed as just 'ASA5506-K9' and, as far as I can tell, is the same hardware it's always been. If you upgrade an ASA to the FTD image, then it will support the FTD features. According to the licensing configuration guide, purchasing an FTD-capable device entitles you to the base FTD license.

tom.becker
Level 1
Level 1

It is definitely a part number, it is available at Ingram Micro in stock.Wondering the difference myself.

Hi Tom,

ASA5506-FTD-K9

ASA 5506-X with Threat Defense software, 8 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt., AC, 3DES/AES, SSD

ASA5506-K9

ASA 5506-X with FirePOWER services, 8GE Data, 1GE Mgmt, AC, 3DES/AES

The difference is only with the software available in the ASA, otherwise the hardware is same.

Spooster IT Services Team

OK. We have established that they are different.  We have established that they exist and are available for order.  Can we find out what the DIFFERENCE IS?  I am not being critical, I am being clear in my question. I have read conflicting items re FTD.  Does it or does it not allow for Anyconnect VPN?  Does it change any of the restrictions/functions of the other software?  Does it have same features PLUS?  Or are some removed as other items I have read suggest?  Do I still buy the same Anyconnect perpetual licenses (AC-PLS-P-25-S)?  Are they compatible?  Information seems to conflict on VPNs, etc.

Also it appears that your description shows an SSD?  does it include a solid state drive?

As of FTD version 6.2.2, AnyConnect is supported on the 5506.

To be clear myself I shall rephrase.

Is the difference between the SKU's just the OS installed (ASA/FTD)?

FTD features are subscription based and available on both platforms.

Regards,

Jens

Hello Jens,

The short answer is that the only difference is the software installed. 

The long answer is that Firepower Threat Defence image only supports smart licensing, where the ASA with Firepower services support both classic licensing and smart licensing.

ASA5506-K9 includes a control license to be installed as a classic license. (or migrated to smart licensing)

ASA5506-FTD-K9 has to retrieve all licenses on the smart licensing portal.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/roadmap/firepower-licenseroadmap.html

You should notice that not all features from the ASA is supported in the Firepower Threat defense image.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card