Views
Helpful
Replies

cant connect my time attendence device

snobje
Level 1
Level 1

here is what i know so far.

since last week. the time attendance device cant be connected via remotely. 

remotely meaning via a VM containing the time attendance software. because it only runs on windows 7.

prior to the problem happening. the device would be able to connect via the VM. however, recently the VM cant communicate with the device.

so what i have done so far to determine that it has something to do with the cisco switch. (some configuration?)

1. got a old laptop to install the software on and try to salvage whatever data was left on the device.

2. check the wires. (ethernet cables)

3. checked the wall port. connected the current wire that connects the device to my laptop to see if it lets me go online. (yes it does)

4. checked if my laptop can communicate with the device through the same cat6 wire. (yes it does)

5. assumed the device is dead faulty after so many years of usage. (replaced with a brand new device (same model)

6. got a mini fs105 netgear switch and connected the wall port/plug into the switch. while connected laptop and the device to the switch. (to my surprise i am able to ping and connect to the whole local network. including the time attendence device. 

7. when i disconnect from the switch VIA lan connection. i cant ping or connect to the device but i am still able to connect to the whole network....

Please help what can i do? i know the device uses port 5005 on default. do i need to open that port or what configurations or test i can do to get this up running again....

28 Replies 28

The only one alternative you have man is identify on which port this device is.

You have one port as Access all the rest is trunk. Time Attendence should be on this port but looks like it is not and that´s why it does not works.

For now on, I can´t help you. You need to figure out the correct port by your own. 

But I am pretty sure that this is your problem.

I found which port it is through finding the MAC address . So now what do we do?

Which port is it? Is it as trunk?  

yes it is as trunk. also to confirm it really is GE1/1/20 i went to ARP to double check the connect device and its MAC address. so im pretty sure its that port.

i changed it to access. however still cant connect to the time attendance device...

Ok, now comes an important part. You need to identify on which vlan you need to put this port.

Ports in trunk mode can allow one or multiple vlans but in access you need to specify one vlan.

You can find this out looking the IP address of time attendance. 

Switch may have an Interface vlan on the same network.

Via cli would be more easy but try to identify it using web gui.

Ok I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

Ok so here is what I know so far. I have 2 VLAN.

VLAN 1 is used by most ports

VLAN 2 is used by 2 ports.

Two set of ip addressed for VLAN1 and 2

So do I create another VLAN? And put the time device for it?

Also...this never happened before for the past 5 or so years. So not sure why it needs to change these kind of settings now.

I dont think you need to change config, as you said, if this was working before, should work now.

My suspicious is that some cable could be changed during the period you did not use it.

I dont know about time attendance, but, probably this does not use trunk. 

When you tracked the port by looking the arp, did you see the vlan the port belongs to somewhere?

I just trying to put time attendence on the right switch port, cause, looks like it is not currently.

so i contacted their developer and they said it should simple plug and play. with execption of creating firewall exception for the port used.

so i dont understand why its not connecting. they are stumped also ...

also, it only lets me check the vlan when it is plugged into a computer. but when the device is plugged into the wall port. it doesnt shows the device mac address and it cant find that ip when ping is used.

If you allow me to access you notebook I can try to help you. Otherwise, I don't see how.

Only through cli is possible to find out what's going on.

sure. 841263159 pw: emt312

teamviewer

Can't now but I'll let you know. Also, send credentials in private message to avoid security problems.

If you can provide console access to device would be helpful.

Hey,

So I had enough of this bs. I went and do it the hard way...

I required the whole infrastructure today and also upgraded all network and hardware for the local server company.

While doing so I found the port but it was faulty. So I just swapped it with one that was empty. Now it works just fine. HR can remote into the vm to check the attendance now.

Also while doing so I found some wires on the ceiling to have rusted or been damaged. So I cut and re-wired them. After finally everything is in place I found that our whole network itself is finally using 10gb speed.

So I guess I fixed some unknown issue also while fixing and fine tuning the whole system/network.

Thank u so much for all the helpful suggestions.

I was to lazy to go and do any physical... hah

That's great bro. Change the case to solved, the way you can help others find solution as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card