Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 1010 (6.6) PoE Problem

Nico.Sauerbrey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi volks,

did someone used the 2 PoE-Ports at the Firepower 1010 with FTD 6.6 and FDM?

I tryed to connect an AP1815I to Eth1/7. The AP gets stuck in a reboot cycle because he didnt get enough power via PoE (blinking amber-red-green then turning off).

The cli in FDM says:

> show power inline
Interface Power Class Current (mA) Voltage (V)
--------- ----- ----- ------------ -----------
[..]
Ethernet1/7 ON 6 30.00 53.00 
Ethernet1/8 OFF -1 0.00 0.00

i think the classifcation as Class 6 might be the Problem, because the AP do 802.1af and class 6 is for 802.3bt devices.

To be sure, that the Problem isn't caused by the AP i connected it to a Cat3850 with PoE. At this Switch the AP is detected correct and doesn't reboot.

AcB#sh power inline g7/0/48
Interface Admin Oper Power Device Class Max
                    (Watts)
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi7/0/48 auto on 8.4 AIR-AP1815I-E-K9 0 30.0
13 Replies 13

Ethernet 1/7 and Ethernet 1/8 support Power over Ethernet (PoE) for devices such as IP phones or wireless access points. The Firepower 1010 supports both IEEE 802.3af (PoE) and 802.3at (PoE+). PoE+ uses Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) to negotiate the power level. PoE+ can deliver up to 30 watts to a powered device. Power is only supplied when needed.

If you shut down the switch port, or configure the port as a firewall interface, then you disable power to the device.

PoE is enabled by default on Ethernet 1/7 and Ethernet 1/8.

therefore it could be your AP is not getting enough power. what logs show on AP?

please do not forget to rate.

Eth1/7 is a switchport and is not on shutdown.

AP doesn't show logs. He kinda dies immediately after booting into AP-OS. No relevant Logs got output on Console.

The AP LED is doing this:

Cycling through Red, Green, Amber and off.

●  General warning; insufficient inline power

(source)

Data Sheet of AP1815i says:

Power draw

●  8.3W (maximum, on PoE)

(source)

So 8.3W < 30W. Didn't get where the Problem should be.

I didnt finde a Bug with PoE at FTD 6.6 or FPR-1010.

definitely issue with PoE port at 1010 Firewall insufficient power. you already mentioned you test on 3850 and the AP worked. found this bug CSCvo59840

The mentioned Bug is something similar, but different.

You can instead of autosense PoE-power configure it manually/static.
Like this on switches:
power inline auto max 15400
power inline static max 15400

Didnt explain why FPR-1010 missclassify AP as Class6, while it should be Class0-4 to match spezifcations of DataSheet which says FPR1010 Ports are PoE+ (802.1at).

Do you have a support contract in place? can you rasie a TAC case

Unfortunately not, because the equipment is just for my private homelab.

I understand you. I guess the only option could be if you buy a separate power unit for your AP to keep the flow of electric from external wall socket. as connecting to 3850 is not a wise decision as it consume more eclectic power.

jeckert
Level 1
Level 1

Seeing same issue with a AP1815i on ASA version of the FPR1010 running 9.13(1)13.  

upgraded to 9.14.(1)30  it did not help.

Also upgrading the APs to 8.10.130 didn't help

jeckert
Level 1
Level 1

I tried 2802i works fine on it.   I have opened a TAC case.  Looks specific issue between the frp1010 and the ap1815i.  

TAC couldn't help basically said was the same as bug CSCvu07797, which very similar 

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu07797

do you have a cisco TAC support in place?

petr.chmelar
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, I wanted to connect two Cisco Catalyst 9115 and none of them work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card