cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 1010 upgrade from version 6.6. to 7.1

nfetlyaev
Level 1
Level 1

I'm about to start a software upgrade of Firepower 1010 from version 6.6.0 to 7.1.0. I understand it is allowed to run the direct upgrade. There two files I have:

1) Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP1K_Patch-7.1.0.1-28.sh.REL

2) Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP1K_Upgrade-7.1.0-90.sh.REL

I'm not sure if I need to upload both files for my upgrade. The second file is clearly for the upgrade, however the second one is unclear what purpose of it. 

Could anyone clarify if I need to use both files or just the second one?

Thanks 

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to upgrade using the upgrade file, once the upgrade is successful, then you can apply the patch :

read the release notes and backups. :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/710/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-710/upgrade.html

Note: if you are managing the device using FMC, you need to upgrade FMC first then FTD. Lastly, check the disk space before upgrading.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the insight!

The VM's memory is 32GB. Based on the guide it should be sufficient. The VM's hard disk is 250 GB. Should be good too. So, i consider following steps for my upgrade:

1) Install Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Upgrade-7.1.0-90.sh.REL

2) Install Cisco_Firepower_Mgmt_Center_Patch-7.1.0.2-28.sh.REL

3) Install Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP1K_Upgrade-7.1.0-90.sh.REL

4) Install Cisco_FTD_SSP_FP1K_Patch-7.1.0.1-28.sh.REL

Please confirm if I'm not missing anything. Thanks

the high level that should work as per I know.

Note: make sure you take the backups out of the box all the time, when an upgrade takes place there no changes to be done.

If any download VDB going on the scheduler makes sure that complete and stopped before the upgrade takes place.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I've upgraded FMC from 6.6. to 7.1, and now it requires to deploy the upgrade to the managed device (FPR1010) which is still with 6.6 version. Should I go ahead and deploy this upgrade, or should I first upgrade the FPR1010 from 6.6 to 7.1?

The order is correct as you mentioned to upgrade the 6.6 to 7.1 FMC. the spec look good too plus on the FTD order is also correct.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/upgrade/management-center/710/upgrade-fmc-710/upgrade-threat-defense.html

just take the backup from both appliances FTD/FMC just in case.

please do not forget to rate.

I won't comment on the how to upgrade as that was already mentioned, but I would advise to skip version 7.1 and either upgrade to 7.0 or to 7.2. These are releases that are longer supported than v7.1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card