cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower deployments really slow

ncowger
Level 1
Level 1

I have new pair of NGFW 2110's.  I have a virtual FPMC.  This is a new build with relatively few rules (10) and NAT statements (14).  If I make a simple change to the policy and deploy it, it seems to take a really long time.  I'm regularly seeing 7+ minutes.  Is this normal?  Why?     

39 Replies 39

Hi everyone,

I'm working with many different deployments and I would say 8 minutes with FMCv and HA pair 2110 is normal.

There is a big difference on a empty box, stand alone or ha pair. ranging from 2 minutes to 10 minutes.

I believe Cisco will be doing something about this in coming releases.

br, Micke

It's the same for me on a physical FPMC 1000 with around 15 rules and some very basic NAT & HA configuration, for a single FPR2110 pair - somewhere between 5-7 minutes per deploy even with a single change. I wouldn't say this is a FMCv-specific issue at all and from the horses mouth I was told this was "normal".

It's frustrating because under some circumstances traffic may be dropped during a deploy (the circumstances where this can happen are vague and the documentation has conflicting information with the on-box help, which has information that conflicts with other on-box help I just double-checked and it looks like the documentation has been updated to be clearer). We're scheduling any policy change for after-hours as a result, even if it's a single access policy item addition or removal.

Yeah, I've also heard this is normal from several resources within Cisco. The issue of traffic dropping on deployment is the biggest issue I have with the new system. Gone are the days of making changes during production hours, with little to no impact on the end-user. That was the one thing I loved the most about the ASAs, especially at our headquarters.

I have a ASA5506 converted to FTD (6.2.3.4-42) and using FDM (the local manager) and even that is slow. A simple change to the BVI address on a empty firewall takes minutes. Either the deployment manager is trying to connect to some external server or the deployment is on a clock cycle so only checks for work every x seconds but it is unacceptable. Interestingly even show network from the console CLI takes a few seconds to respond. It also takes quite a while after boot for the https server to become available.

6.3 has improved deployment times significantly (~2x better). Unfortunately the ASA 5506-X and 5512-X are not eligible for 6.3 upgrades.

elcommunication
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new into the ASA firepower stuff and I think the deployment times are really slow up to 5 minutes. I'm getting gray hair before they're done. And if I deploy a change on a live environment and figure out the rule breaks connectivity for my users it takes at least 5 minutes to revert the changes

Hi,

Are you running 6.2.3.X and is it a cluster?

In general 6.2.3 are MUCH faster than previous releases, and will give you a much better experience.

I'm running  6.2.3.1 but it's not a cluster.

How are the hardware on the VM?

It's the default on the VM. 4 core and 8GB ram. And the actual host has dual six core amd opteron 2435 with very low load

Try boosting it to 32GB Memory - it should be treated as a database server :-)

I guess you will get a huge performance boost.

Doubled the ram to 16GB. Still a 7 minute deploy-time on a simple ACL line change.

But before I rebooted it used about 7.2 of 8GB RAM and now with 16GB about the same

The slow deployments are primarily due to architectural limitations of the underlying database design - not the resources on either the FMC or managed device.

Cisco has been working on improving this but it's not there just yet.

shaun.stull1
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a pair of 2110's running in HA and rarely see a deployment that finishes in less than 7 minutes.  I am told by Cisco that this is the way it is and improvements are coming in the next release.  I heard the same thing prior to upgrading to 6.2.3 as well and didn't see much if any improvement... 

Any updates here? I'm inheriting a 2110 with an FMCv, simple changes take 7 minutes. It's 3/2019, there has to be fix by now? One ACL take 7 minutes? That's just crazy.

The secret to succeeding at technology is to say yes you can, and to not be afraid of change. Forget the words, "That's how we always do it"
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card