Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FPR-1140 doesn't send syslog messages seen in ASDM to server

When looking at the ASDM Real-Time Log Viewer I can see lots of connection build-ups and teardowns. I can filter them and find the connections that I look for. Everything fine here.

I want to see the very same output on my syslog server. But they don't show up. All I see there are messages that are NOT shown in the Real-Time Log Viewer. But these messages all come from the IP address of the Firepower device I look at with the ASDM.

What did I configure wrong?

In "Configuration - Device Management - Logging - Logging Filters" both the ASDM and the Syslog Servers are set to "Severity: Informational".

Of course logging is enabled in "Configuration - Device Management - Logging - Logging Setup".

This is reflected on the CLI:

# show run logging        
logging enable
logging timestamp
logging trap informational
logging asdm informational
logging host 'interface' 'IP address'
#

Any help is highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, now it works as it should.

The solution was to delete the line

no logging host [interface name] [ip address of syslog server]

and then to add it again:

logging host [interface name] [ip address of syslog server]

And the syslog messages arrived at the syslog server again.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What  happens if you change the logging levels from informational to debugging ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't change the main problem.

I set both ASDM and Syslog Servers to "Debugging" and also enabled "Send debug messages as syslogs", but there are still no connection build-ups or teardowns in the syslog on the syslog server.

I have controlled the configuration and checked it against another similar machine from another customer. The configuration is fine.

It looks like the problem is a filter on the customer side. I might be able to confirm this tomorrow.

After spending a lot of time on this phenomenon a colleague finally tells me that he had the same problem at another customer's site. The firepower sends all the syslog messages, but they have a certain format that is dropped by the syslog server. The solution was to re-configure the syslog server to accept the message format.

I hav asked our server admins to look into this, but haven't received an answer yet.

Ok, now it works as it should.

The solution was to delete the line

no logging host [interface name] [ip address of syslog server]

and then to add it again:

logging host [interface name] [ip address of syslog server]

And the syslog messages arrived at the syslog server again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card