cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FPR2130 HA mixed appliance / platform mode

richyvrlimited
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to bring an FPR2130 with ASA code in platform mode into HA with a 2nd 2130 in appliance mode (also ASA code obviously)?

I'd like to convert the 2130 in platform mode in appliance mode. Adding HA then failing over to the redundant device would make it a zero downtime job, but not sure if is possible to have a mixed environment like that.

Many thanks

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

May be worth checking the Limitation : (i do not believe personally you can mix the modes).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/fp2100/firepower-2100-gsg/asa-platform.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

are these already in production? or is a single 2130 in platform mode currently running?

what's the ASA image/code on the 2130 in platform mode and other 2130 in appliance mode?

it's not explicitly stated in the cisco docs i've read to have both on the same FXOS mode.

but just to avoid any technical or inconsistency issues in the future and as best practice, have both converted to appliance mode.

@johnlloyd_13 

The platform mode device is in production, the appliance mode device is not. Aall our other 2130 are in appliance mode and for consistency I'd like this one in appliance mode.

I was hoping to bring up the HA with a 2130 in appliance mode then failover and remove the platform mode device, re-image to appliance and then re-add the HA. Assuming HA with the two platforms was possible this would be a virtually zero downtime piece of work.

@balaji.bandi There is nothing in the documentation/limitations regarding mixed mode HA

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree the docs are silent regarding creating a mixed mode HA pair. You could open a proactive TAC case to inquire.

Even if it is possible, creating an HA pair with FTD does cause a brief outage. So just planning for that and give it a try may be the best you can do in advance.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card