cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I get nfs to work with PIX 6.1(3) ?

pheuch
Level 1
Level 1

I have problems to get nfs ( special mountd ) through a PIX. The nfs host is in a test segment which is separated from our intranet with a PIX. Our default policy is to disallow anything, except of some protocolls (ports) to defined hosts (this is true for any direction).

Now I got a problem with nfs setup. I know I need rules for nfs (tcp /udp 2049) and for portmapper (tcp/udp sunrpc/111) and for mountd and statd. Problem with mountd and statd is, that they do not have fixed port numbers. How can I configure this? I thought the PIX inspects the portmapper traffic and helps me to define dynamic rules for the needed ports, but this seems to be wrong.

´

Any idea what I can do ? I hate the idea to open the firewall for large port ranges.

Regards Peter

2 Replies 2

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have no experience with NFS, but the pix only inspects port negatiations for the following protocols (the "fixup" command is used for this):

fixup protocol ftp [strict] [port]

fixup protocol http [port[-port]

fixup protocol h323 {h225 | ras} port [-port]

fixup protocol ils [port[-port]]

fixup protocol rsh [514]

fixup protocol rtsp [port]

fixup protocol sip [5060]

fixup protocol skinny [2000]

fixup protocol smtp [port[-port]]

fixup protocol sqlnet [port[-port]]

fixup protocol skinny port [-port]

Kind Regards,

Tom

Yes, I also noticed this , but I was puzzeled from following line (out of write t):

timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 rpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00

So there is a timeout value for rpc. If the PIX does not notice the rpc protocoll, why is there a timeout ?

Out of the command reference for timeout:

... The timeout command sets the idle time for connection, translation UDP, RPC,...

So RPC is known.

If you check out the global command:

...PAT works with DNS, FTP, ..., RPC, rshell,...

So why is RPC mentioned ? I can not believe that only a simple connection to portmapper is the meaning of RPC.

Maybe somebody from CISCO can answer this question ?

Regards Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card