Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT in Azure ASAV

amaresh_22jan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone help me to carryout static nat in ASAV in azure.

5 Replies 5

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks for the doc.

Am looking for the scenario where Azure load balancer comes into the picture .

Hi,

Did you get anywhere with this in the end? I have exactly the same scenario using ASAv in an HA configuration behind an Azure Load Balancer. Static NAT works perfectly works perfectly when configured behind a single instance ASAv in Azure by following the instructions for adding multiple IPs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZMTBZrA74

I am currently testing using an HA pair in Azure and have applied the same static NAT configuration on each device using different IPs for the external interfaces, which are then in turn NATed to 2 azure public IPs. For testing we have a web server running on port 80. This can be accessed through each ASA in the pair by going directly to the NATed public ip address, but I can't seem to get this working through the load balancer.

Try this:

I have found a workaround. It should be noted that Static NAT for multiple web servers works fine on the single instance ASAv in Azure using the following guide to add the additional IP configurations for the IPs of each of the internal web servers using the method in this video below. Create your static NAT rules as normal and then create the additional IP configurations against the management/outside interface in Azure to correspond to the ASAv addresses with a public IP attached.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZMTBZrA74

In an HA configuration it does not appear to be possible to create load balanced rules with health probes on the Azure Load Balancer against secondary IP configurations on the management/outside interface, even if you create an additional backend pool on the load balancer for the secondary IP configurations. This is stated in the Cisco documentation here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa98/asav/quick-start/asav-quick/asav-azure.html

• ASAv HA (single context mode)

Note: If your deployment uses an Azure Load Balancer, health probes are not supported on secondary IP addresses assigned on ASAv NICs.

As a workaround I first decided to add new Frontend IP addresses on the Azure Load Balancer for each of my web servers. I then created NAT rules on each of the ASAvs in the HA pair to translate the web port on each web server to a different port which could be presented on the outside/management interface of the ASAv using the following commands:

Create the NAT rule for each web server:

object network internal-web-server

host internal_IP_of_web_server

nat (inside,management) static interface service tcp www 6480

Then allow traffic into the web port of your web server on the inbound access list which is bound to the management/outside interface:

access-list management-inbound extended permit tcp any object internal-web-server eq www

Next modify the ASAv NSG (Network Security Group) in Azure to allow tcp traffic through to the ASAvs on port 6480.

Finally create a load balanced rule on one of the newly created Frontend IP addresses in the Azure Load Balancer which points to the backend pool of the two ASAvs, which translates anything that comes in to the load balancer front end IP for this server from port 80 to port 6480. The traffic flow is  as follows:

===> Port 80 on LB Frontend IP ===> Port 6480 on LB Backend ASAvs ===> Port 80 on Web Server

Because this configuration allows you to use health probes on the management interfaces of the 2 ASAvs, the rule will failover to the backup ASAv in the event of the primary ASAv failing. You can create different NAT rules and load balancer rules for each website that you have behind the HA pair of ASAvs. Use a different translated port on the ASAvs and load balancer rules for each web server you have behind the firewall. Config wise this is also simpler than static NAT rules as the configuration is the same on each ASAv for each web server.

HI
First of all thanks for your solution.

I am also facing same issue. This solution is for Outbound connections Static NAT right?

Even if we use Public IP in Azure ASAv interface will it still take the Azure LB frontend IP for outbound connection

If we shouldn't use Public IP in ASAv how we can specify one or two IP for PAT( I mean for general internet access)
Consider even we can achieve by disabling SNAT for all other IP's Except the ones which we need to use for PAT. Whether can we use the SNAT disabled IP's for NATing purpose as you had mentioned in your solution and also for other inbound connectivity
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card