Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Hi all

i have 40 spots (40 Ethernet cables for computers coming out from switch) and i want each of these spots to have fix IP which means if i swap the computer the IP of certain spot remain the same.

example : at spot 30 i have IP address of 192.168.22.40 so even if i change the computer at this spot i want the new computer to have same IP that is 192.168.22.40.

like i want to know the IP address of each of the 40 locations/spots and i want it to be fixed. it shouldn't change with putting new machine at same spot . is something like this possible ?

if yes what Switch or device would i need to do that?

currently i am using sf220-48 port which i think is layer 2 switch

thanks is advance..

2 Comments
balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do with DHCP MAC Address to IP static reservation, make sure when you replace the device note the MAC address and upgrade DHCP records. ( or when the new device added to port capture the mac address and ammend to DHCP table - so when the device reboot it get new StaticIP)

This is the best way approach i see to achieve this.

Nick Bridgens
Level 1
Level 1

You cannot (despite the other comment) as the IP address is determined by the device not the switch. 

My understanding is that you want to replace the device on spot x with a new device and for it to have a predetermined address for that spot. 

You can can have all devices set to get their addresses from a DHCP server and effectively 'fix' the address they get by using reservations based on the devices' MAC addresses. 

A cleaner solution is just to give the devices fixed addresses based on their target location, and when you move one away, clear the settings, so you get no conflicts. But if you do not have access to the device to fix the address (perhaps an IP phone), then reservations are the only alternative. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: