cancel
Announcements

Community Helping Community

Understanding the differences between the Cisco password \ secret Types

Views
Helpful
Comments

Best Practices

• The enable password command should no longer be used. Use enable secret instead.
  • username joeblow password mypass command should no longer be used.  Use username joeblow secret mypass instead.
  • Type 4 Passwords should never be used!
  • Type 9 encryption is more resource intensive than Type 8, and both are more intensive than Type 5 (but all operate on an 8xx router fine)
  • Use Type 9 if you are able to.   If the IOS you have does not support Type 9 then use Type 7. 

Cisco Password Type’s

Type 4

Cisco created Type 4 around 2013 in an attempt to strengthen password, unfortunately the attempt was severely flawed and resulted in a hash that was weaker than a Type 5 MD5. See the PSIRT below.
Cisco IOS and Cisco IOS XE Type 4 Passwords Issue

Type 5

These use a very simple MD5 hashing algorithm. These are easily reversible with tools on the internet. These should only be used if Type 9 is not available on the IOS version you are running. 

Type 7

These use the Vigenere cipher, a very simple algorithm that was cracked in 1995. These are easily reversible with tools on the internet. These should never be used. 

Type 8

Type 8 passwords are what Type 4 was meant to be, PBKDF2, SHA-256, 80 bit salt, 20,000 iterations. While this is good, it is still vulnerable to brute forcing since AES is easy to implement in graphics cards. I have not proven it but I believe it is possible that the popular tool HashCat is able to decrypt these.

Type 9

These use the SCRYPT hashing algorithm SCRYPT, 80 bit salt, 16384 iterations. It’s expensive to run the algorithm and therefore currently the Best Practice Type password to use. I have not proven it but I believe it is possible that the popular tool HashCat is able to decrypt these.

Please rate or comment to help make this document better!

Comments
Beginner
What is the first IOS to support Type 9 hashing?
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here