Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI - Basic Scripting vs Obj Oriented Programming Package question

cowser1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am a Network Engineer with NO scripting/programming knowledge and I am dipping my toe into the scripting (json) capabilities on my ACI fabric. One of my biggest hurdles with my new ACI fabric (at least initially) is the repetitive nature of mapping EPGs to ports.  In our environment, we are migrating from a legacy 6500 and Nexus switching fabric to ACI 9k.  Initially we statically mapped existing DC VLANs to EPGs, and basically statically assign those vlans/epgs to individual interfaces (and in some cases PCs and VPCs) to simulate traditional trunk ports (we do not use L2 outs on these interfaces).

So in our environment we have several hundred vlans.  you can imagine that going thru the motions of statically mapping each epg to each "trunk" port gets a little tedious.  So, I used the API inspector to generate a config/script template, for mapping each epg to each port.  the issue is, while i can just keep modifying and pasting in this script, on a per EPG to Port basis. Is there a better way to create one LARGE JSON/XML script that encompasses each port change?  i cant seem to find a way to paste in more that one change at a time, and have POSTMAN accept it.  Is there something simple that I am missing?  Like a special character or something?  or Is that a limitation of API scripting?  in that there is no way to pair multiple changes in one session?  and that’s why you have to graduate to PYTHON?

example scripts...

COMBINE this change

10:11:56 DEBUG -

method: POST

url: https://10.62.60.18/api/node/mo/uni/tn-**tenetNAME/ap-***APP-PROFILE-Legacy/epg-epg-vlan10.json

payload{"fvRsPathAtt":{"attributes":{"encap":"vlan-10","instrImedcy":"immediate","tDn":"topology/pod-1/paths-101/pathep-[trunkPORTPROFILE-IntPolGrp]","status":"created"},"children":[]}}

response: {"imdata":[]}

WITH THIS CHANGE…

10:12:35 DEBUG -

method: POST

url: https://10.62.60.18/api/node/mo/uni/tn-**tenetNAME/ap-***APP-PROFILE-Legacy/epg-epg-vlan100.json

payload{"fvRsPathAtt":{"attributes":{"encap":"vlan-100","instrImedcy":"immediate","tDn":"topology/pod-1/paths-101/pathep-[trunkPORTPROFILE-IntPolGrp]","status":"created"},"children":[]}}

response: {"imdata":[]}

AND SO ON, and SO ON....

INTO ONE POST ACTION/SCRIPT

Thank you for any help!

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community