Views
Helpful
Replies

How to retry the template via commit-queue if it's failed

kiran kotari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team, 

We are working with SD-WAN devices, when a template fails via commit-queue due to Vmanage busy with some other operation in progress. We wanted to retry the template apply. Is this possible? 

Thanks in advance

Kiran Kumar

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good Q. I do not believe Commit Queues has a "retry" option for errors. The current possible options are:

The error option can be configured under /ncs:devices/global-settings/commit-queue/error-option. Possible values are: continue-on-error, rollback-on-error and stop-on-error.

Unless the NED gives you any support, you would need to capture this error somewhere northbound and re-commit.

View solution in original post

NSO of course retries _transient_ errors but not _permanent_ errors in commit queues. The logic being that the permanent errors cannot be fixed by trying again. I do see the desire to sometimes retry permanent errors too.

hi Kiran, please issue a TAC ticket for an enhancement request.

5 Replies 5

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good Q. I do not believe Commit Queues has a "retry" option for errors. The current possible options are:

The error option can be configured under /ncs:devices/global-settings/commit-queue/error-option. Possible values are: continue-on-error, rollback-on-error and stop-on-error.

Unless the NED gives you any support, you would need to capture this error somewhere northbound and re-commit.

NSO of course retries _transient_ errors but not _permanent_ errors in commit queues. The logic being that the permanent errors cannot be fixed by trying again. I do see the desire to sometimes retry permanent errors too.

kiran kotari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@vleijon for SD-WAN it's _transient_ error due to it's busy (working on other tasks) but for NSO it's _permanent_ error due to the device rejected

@rogaglia Can we request the NSO BU to add a new feature in commit-queues "retry-on-error", "max-attempts", This will give developer a choice for eg. SD-WAN devices or 3rd party device.

hi Kiran, please issue a TAC ticket for an enhancement request.

snovello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think there is no interface for the commit queue to ask a device whether an error was transient or not, and so as far as I understand NSO takes a conservative simple approach, any error from the device is permanent, connection errors are transient. So maybe extending the NED API to be able to ask the NED if an error message is transient might be a way forward. A default implementation could just match patterns in a ned-setting