cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I'm looking for information on ESC Lite. Can anyone shed 'light' on this?

plauda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's all in the subject.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

ESC is delivered as a standalone VM while ESC-lite is a set of RPMs bundled inside the NFVIS OS.  NFVIS is the OS for ENCS and Cloud Dock platform and will eventually be the OS for CSP 2100 as well.  ESC-lite is largely identical to ESC except for some minor differences in the data model namespace and monitoring capability.  In ESC-lite, only ICMP ping monitoring is available.  Given ESC-lite is completely hidden behind NFVIS, there is no explicit licensing required for ESC-lite.  From high level architectural perspective, ESC-lite works in a VIM-less environment where ESC-lite invokes libvirt APIs directly.  One ESC-lite instance is required per NFVIS OS (i.e. per ENCS box) while ESC can manage many compute nodes behind a VIM.  We have not published a lot of artifacts on ESC-lite given it is used as an internal component for other Cisco platform.  Feel free to ping me if you have more questions.

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ESC Lite is embedded in e.g. the NFVIS operating system, which runs on the Cisco ENCS devices (and elsewhere). This means that you don’t need to have a separate VNFM running elsewhere.

Thank you for the quick response! Can we say that ESC Lite is part of the NSO software package or is it an add-on like the full ESC package? As an NSO instructor I’m not finding any information on this even though it is mentioned in the course materials.

Thanks!

--peter

It ships embedded in the device OS, e.g. NFVIS

Cheers,

KJ.

Hi Peter,

ESC is delivered as a standalone VM while ESC-lite is a set of RPMs bundled inside the NFVIS OS.  NFVIS is the OS for ENCS and Cloud Dock platform and will eventually be the OS for CSP 2100 as well.  ESC-lite is largely identical to ESC except for some minor differences in the data model namespace and monitoring capability.  In ESC-lite, only ICMP ping monitoring is available.  Given ESC-lite is completely hidden behind NFVIS, there is no explicit licensing required for ESC-lite.  From high level architectural perspective, ESC-lite works in a VIM-less environment where ESC-lite invokes libvirt APIs directly.  One ESC-lite instance is required per NFVIS OS (i.e. per ENCS box) while ESC can manage many compute nodes behind a VIM.  We have not published a lot of artifacts on ESC-lite given it is used as an internal component for other Cisco platform.  Feel free to ping me if you have more questions.

Regards,

Michael