Views
Helpful
Replies

NSO Cli Equivalent command for few IOS commands are not found

Chitra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi !

I dont find few  NSO  CLI equivalent commands for certain commands which works in device(IOS) when executed directly.

Eg: spanning-tree backbonefast

class REALTIME_IN

class class-default

a) Does this mean NSO doesn't support these commands for IOS devices? 

b) If NSO supports then what are its NSO equivalents CLI commands ? For example , class-map match-any REALTIME_IN has NSO  CLI Command is ios:class-map match-any REALTIME_IN  or  for interface it is ios:interface with prefix ios mostly.

c) If NSO doesnt support certain commands  which device accepts ,then which are those commands and how to find them?

Thanks,

Chitra

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ian.scheidler1
Level 4
Level 4

It means that the IOS NED version you are using doesn't support that command. If you are already using the latest NED release then for all I know you will have to go through the defined Upgrade/Enhancement request process for NEDs and request that the non-supported command is added to the NED.

See here for details of the NED enhancement process.

b) If NSO supports then what are its NSO equivalents CLI commands ? For example , class-map match-any REALTIME_IN has NSO  CLI Command is ios:class-map match-any REALTIME_IN  or  for interface it is ios:interface with prefix ios mostly.

The way of accessing the command via NSO should be as expected by you:

i.e. when you log on to NSO CLI with e.g. "ncs_cli - u admin -C" type "conf t" then "devices device yourdevicename config ios:spanning-tree backbonefast"...of course this will only work once the support has been built in to NED.

c)  If NSO doesnt support certain commands  which device accepts ,then which are those commands and how to find them?

As far as I know there is no ultimate list with supported/unsupported config snippets (a list like this would be quite hard to maintain). It is recommended that one gets sample configs from the customer early on in projects and then tries out whether they work/are supported. One way to verify this is to try and put a sample config on a netsim device (which is generated using the NED). You will then see pretty quickly which config commands aren't supported.

I am not aware of any NED which supports the full config command set which would be supported on a device directly. NEDs are amended on demand. So if you use commands which have come up in previous NSO projects there is a fairly good chance the NED already supports it...in some cases you will have to request a NED enhancement though.

Looks like you found commands which currently aren't supported yet by the NED.

View solution in original post

Hi,

I would recommend you to check the ntool tool: https://github.com/NSO-developer/ntool

You can use it to validate if the NSO IOS NED supports your target config.

If you want a NED to support all the configs from a vendor, the way forward is NETCONF/YANG devices.

Regards,

Roque

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ian.scheidler1
Level 4
Level 4

It means that the IOS NED version you are using doesn't support that command. If you are already using the latest NED release then for all I know you will have to go through the defined Upgrade/Enhancement request process for NEDs and request that the non-supported command is added to the NED.

See here for details of the NED enhancement process.

The way of accessing the command via NSO should be as expected by you:

i.e. when you log on to NSO CLI with e.g. "ncs_cli - u admin -C" type "conf t" then "devices device yourdevicename config ios:spanning-tree backbonefast"...of course this will only work once the support has been built in to NED.

c)  If NSO doesnt support certain commands  which device accepts ,then which are those commands and how to find them?

As far as I know there is no ultimate list with supported/unsupported config snippets (a list like this would be quite hard to maintain). It is recommended that one gets sample configs from the customer early on in projects and then tries out whether they work/are supported. One way to verify this is to try and put a sample config on a netsim device (which is generated using the NED). You will then see pretty quickly which config commands aren't supported.

I am not aware of any NED which supports the full config command set which would be supported on a device directly. NEDs are amended on demand. So if you use commands which have come up in previous NSO projects there is a fairly good chance the NED already supports it...in some cases you will have to request a NED enhancement though.

Looks like you found commands which currently aren't supported yet by the NED.

Hi,

I would recommend you to check the ntool tool: https://github.com/NSO-developer/ntool

You can use it to validate if the NSO IOS NED supports your target config.

If you want a NED to support all the configs from a vendor, the way forward is NETCONF/YANG devices.

Regards,

Roque

Thanks much for spot on explanation. It was helpful!