Views
Helpful
Replies

NSO/NETCONF: is CLI NED required?

JM Montenot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a IOS XE 16.3 device and I am trying to create a service for it.

So far, I have followed the following tutorial: Cisco DevNet Learning Labs. It seems that I can sync-from my device (returns true) and I am able to connect to it (connect command).

Here is the result of the show packages package oper-status:

PROGRAM                                                        META     FILE

CODE     JAVA           BAD NCS  PACKAGE  PACKAGE  CIRCULAR    DATA     LOAD   ERROR

NAME        UP  ERROR    UNINITIALIZED  VERSION  NAME     VERSION  DEPENDENCY  ERROR    ERROR  INFO

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTR-DIV-PI  X   -        -              -        -        -        -           -        -      -

pioneer     X   -        -              -        -        -        -           -        -      -

As far as I understand, it seems that it works fine but I am not sure sure since I faced many errors during netconf NED building steps.

When I modify the device conf with CLI (without using the NSO), I can see that device is out-of-sync from NSO point of view (which is good). The problem is that the devices device <device> compare-config displays nothing whereas I need to display the difference to build my service.

In the same way, I am not able to display the device conf by using the show running-conf command, instead I have info like:

cisco-sfm:netconf-yang cisco-odm actions ACL

polling-interval 120000

mode             poll

My question is: how to check the device config and get a compare-config ? Do I need the cisco-ios ned?

Thank you very much for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to choose whether to use the device using the CLI NED, or the NETCONF NED. You don't need both (other than perhaps during migration work or so).

If compare-config displays no diff, that probably means the device change is in a YANG module that you have disabled (removed) from your NED build. If you provide details about which YANGs are in and out of your NED, and what you changed, we may be able to comment in some more detail.

The fact that you see no running config from the device except odm data suggests that you have very few YANG models, perhaps only odm, enabled in your NED build. Some more information about what's included would help the discussion here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to choose whether to use the device using the CLI NED, or the NETCONF NED. You don't need both (other than perhaps during migration work or so).

If compare-config displays no diff, that probably means the device change is in a YANG module that you have disabled (removed) from your NED build. If you provide details about which YANGs are in and out of your NED, and what you changed, we may be able to comment in some more detail.

The fact that you see no running config from the device except odm data suggests that you have very few YANG models, perhaps only odm, enabled in your NED build. Some more information about what's included would help the discussion here.

Hello Jan,

Thanks, you are right, I was missing something.

Following your post: Porting an existing service to use a NETCONF NED, part 1, I disabled some yang models. It appears that with my IOS-XE version, yang models don't have the same name as yours in your post (e.g: I have only 275 yang models and none of them starts with Ciso-IOSXE).

For those who could face the same issue, here is what I did. I enabled all yang models but three that throw compilation error:

* tailf-confd-monitoring

* tailf-common-monitoring

* cisco-ia

It seems to work fine so far.

Once again, that you very much Jan!