Views
Helpful
Replies

100MB over SMF?

RoboCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two buildings which are connected via Single Mode Fiber (SMF).

In building A, I have a WS-3750X-12S-S.

In Building B, I have a device which ONLY supports 100MB connections, either TX or FX.

Constraints:  I'm stuck with the SMF fiber between these two buildings, and I'm stuck with a 100MB device in building B.  Can't change it.

Other than using media converters on both sides, how can I connect these two? 

Since the 3750X is a Gig switch, the only SFP I see which can do 100MB in a GIG SFP slot is a GLC-GE-100FX, but its for MMF. (Reference:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/100MB_Tx_Matrix.html)

Thanks,

-Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd agree with your analysis - this is a case where a media converter is the indicated solution (given the constraints you've outlined).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd agree with your analysis - this is a case where a media converter is the indicated solution (given the constraints you've outlined).

jmcgrady1
Level 1
Level 1

Its curious that Cisco doesn't offer a 100mb SFP certified for operation over single mode. Their LH 1000mb module can run on single or multimode fibre over short distances. However their GLC-GE-100FX is listed as multimode only.

I realize that this thread is more than 5 years old, but Cisco does offer several 100M single mode options:

GLC-FE-100LX to 10km

GLC-FE-100EX to 40km

GLC-FE-100ZX to 80km

GLC-FE-100BX-D and GLC-FE-100BX-U for a single fiber connection to 10km

They're just not supported on the WS-3750X-12S-S switch listed above.  You could probably get a third-party optics company to make one that would work though.