Views
Helpful
Replies

100MB over SMF?

RoboCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two buildings which are connected via Single Mode Fiber (SMF).

In building A, I have a WS-3750X-12S-S.

In Building B, I have a device which ONLY supports 100MB connections, either TX or FX.

Constraints:  I'm stuck with the SMF fiber between these two buildings, and I'm stuck with a 100MB device in building B.  Can't change it.

Other than using media converters on both sides, how can I connect these two? 

Since the 3750X is a Gig switch, the only SFP I see which can do 100MB in a GIG SFP slot is a GLC-GE-100FX, but its for MMF. (Reference:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/100MB_Tx_Matrix.html)

Thanks,

-Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd agree with your analysis - this is a case where a media converter is the indicated solution (given the constraints you've outlined).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd agree with your analysis - this is a case where a media converter is the indicated solution (given the constraints you've outlined).

jmcgrady1
Level 1
Level 1

Its curious that Cisco doesn't offer a 100mb SFP certified for operation over single mode. Their LH 1000mb module can run on single or multimode fibre over short distances. However their GLC-GE-100FX is listed as multimode only.

I realize that this thread is more than 5 years old, but Cisco does offer several 100M single mode options:

GLC-FE-100LX to 10km

GLC-FE-100EX to 40km

GLC-FE-100ZX to 80km

GLC-FE-100BX-D and GLC-FE-100BX-U for a single fiber connection to 10km

They're just not supported on the WS-3750X-12S-S switch listed above.  You could probably get a third-party optics company to make one that would work though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: