cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-LH-SM SFPs for WS-4948 & C3560G-24TS

SchinkelA
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to bridge a Cisco WS-4948 to a Cisco C3560G-24TS elsewhere in the same building.
I have a fibre patch panel that links the two locations which only has connections for single mode fibre.

As the connection between these two switches will only be a few hundred feet, do I need to be concerned about something going wrong?
(lasers being too strong / damaging themselfs or eachother / etc.)

Thank you very much!

4 Replies 4

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you use the GLC-LH-SM SFP, the transmitter power output (maximum) is equal to the receiver's maximum input power specification, so it will work fine with a couple hundred feet of SMF. 

Tom

Thank you Tom,

I'm incredibly unfamiliar with using SFPs in Cisco switches.

I've plugged the GLC-LH-SM SFP into the WS-4948 and logged into the console with root.
Now I'm stuck in the position that I cannot find a configuration guide, nor can I see where /how to enable the SFP ports.
I generally get pointed to the 4500 guide, but in that guide it talks about a command 'hw-module uplink select all' to set up SFP ports / something, and that command does not appear to exist on my WS-4948?

Will they automatically become enabled once I have the LC/LC cable hooked up to another switch?

You should be able to install them in the equipment then connect the fibers (transmit to receive and receive to transmit)..  The ports should come up.  Typically, no additional optical configuration required. 

I've posted a document that outlines some reference information regarding Cisco Pluggable Optical Transceivers.  Provides some links to troubleshooting pluggables. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13721

Wonderful, thank you,
It is appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card