cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sfp compatibility

TcoUpLoad
Level 1
Level 1

We have a stack made by C2960X-48FPD-L, C2960X-48FPS-L and C2960X-24PS-L. The first SW can have SFP+ but the others don't. In existing architecture the first one has a 1000BaseSX SFP maybe for compatible with the others. Can i put a 10GBaseSX SFP at the first one? And maybe change the speed to 1G ?

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Speed of fiber SFP can never be changed also look into : https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No that SFP works same speed, you can not have 1 side less and other side higher one to work.

more information device SFP compatability matrix matrix link provided by @marce1000 

For better smooth working, suggest to use 1GB SFP both the side.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

TcoUpLoad
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the answers but was not in that line of thinking. I know i need the same speed in both of sides.

I was asking about the stack, could i plug the 10G instead of 1G. My coworker has pluged there some time ago an 1G SFP, so the question is: is ok to plug a 10G SFP in the master stack switch once it is compatible or i can not because the other 2 switches of stack are not compatible with 10G SFPs?
I never worked with switches in stack so need to know before do something wrong if i can change it or not.

Its all depends on the model and what module you installed.

Stacking  - virtual or flex stacking ? Look at the documentation of that product will help you  based on the model.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help