cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4.0(1) Upgrade Assistant and AD Integration

jason.aarons
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting to note the 4.0(1) Upgrade Assistant gives a big red X under DC Directory check.

Yeah, I'm running AD Integration so it should give a big x on the the DC Directory check.

Any idea why Upgrade Assistant doesn't ask if your AD or DCD and give the right answer on checking upgrade?

"The utility validates whether Cisco CallManager is integrated with DC Directory. This utility validates the DC Directory connection and the DC Directory configuration containers."

3 Replies 3

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

I've been advised by TAC that you should deintegrate from any customer directory, which includes Active Directory (or Netscape/Sun LDAP) prior to performing an upgrade. This might or might not have been confusion on the part of the TAC engineer, because I can't find this requirement documented. What is well documented is that if you're operating the server joined into your NT/2000/2003 domain, you need to return it to workgroup mode prior to the upgrade, but that is something wholly different for different reasons.

The reason I talked to TAC about this is because I've had at least one upgrade go sideways on me when I didn't deintegrate with AD first. So, I've gotten in the habit of deintegrating with AD before upgrading. This is as simple as rerunning the Customer Directory Configuration plugin on each cluster server and uninstalling the AD integration, which returns you to DC Directory. After you finish the upgrade, run the plugin and reintegrate, and all your user and device configuration and association data should still be there.

Therefore, I think that Upgrade Assistant is warning you to uninstall the AD integration. Verify this with TAC if you want, or perhaps another NetPro poster can back this up with documentation that I wasn't able to find.

I found a bug in the toolkit in which the Upgrade Assistant 4.0(1) failed DC Directory Check with errir idasobject could not be created error code 1008. Workaround is to un-install, re-install the Upgrade Assistant.

I did not de-integrate from AD as my directory (vs DCD) and had no known issues. (Yes you do have to remove yourself from a domain into a workgroup).

Good find!

One thing I neglected to mention: the Active Directory (and other LDAP integration) schema changes somewhat from version to version. The schema will not automatically be upgraded during the CallManager upgrade. This is one thing that gets dealt with if you deintegrate and reintegrate and check the option to upgrade the schema. However, I believe if you run the Customer Directory Configuration plugin, you have the option to 'Upgrade' and I think this will let you update the schema without the deinstall and reinstall, but I can't remember for sure.

Note that an uninstall and reinstall is explicitly called for in the post-upgrade tasks section of the upgrade documentation, for just this reason:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801ed0f4.html

Even if things are working fine for you now, it's advisable to upgrade the schema. Things can fail in subtle and annoyingly difficult to troubleshoot ways later if you don't.