cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4006 Sup 3 Voip

weisse1
Level 1
Level 1

Can you configure an auxilary phone vlan on the 4006 with a supervisor 3. The IOS is capable of creating vlans via the IOS, but I cannot locate how to configure the auxilary vlan that the IP phones will be utilizing. The current version on the switch is 12.1(8a)EW1. Does anyone know of any documentation that describes this implementation or is there a different method of configuring such a vlan on this particular device.

6 Replies 6

lkneschke
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need to configure it on the switch not on the router.

On the set based switch you do it with:

set port auxiliaryvlan 3/1 10

On the IOS based switch you do with

switchport voice vlan 10

Cu

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Sup3 for the Cat4k does not support auxiliary VLANs yet or other voice features. This will be available in an upcoming IOS release for the Sup3.

Dave,

Can you confirm for me that you are saying that a 4k with a SupIII cannot support voice vlans?

So you could'nt in fact link the phone to the 10/100 Ethernet port in the 4k and then the PC into the phone? Is that what your saying? But you could use seperate 10/100 ports, one for the phone and one for the PC.

Thanks in advance

Gary

Correct, the Sup3 does not yet support auxiliary VLANs. Also, it does not support the power shelf to provide inline power to the IP phones. You can do basic QoS however, and you can still connect IP phones to the switch ports, and connect PCs to the phones and everything will work.... with the 2 caveats that you need to use regular power bricks, and the phone and the PC will be on the same VLAN.

The IOS release for the Sup3 that will support inline power and auxiliary VLANs for IP phones should be called 12.1(11b)EW. The latest information I am aware of is that this release should be available for download within a week or two. Of course, that is subject to change.

Thank you very much for clarifying that.

Gary

Dave,

Am I correct to recommend the return of the sup 3 and the purchase of the sup 2 in order to implement the topology where the pc's plug into the phones rather than each specific port being configured for either voice or data?