cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 locked on tftp download . How do I reset ?

shahedvoicerite
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited a 7960, which is trying to download an .sbn file (as per CM tftp trace), which I dont have on my server.

I want to reset the phone to factory defaults, and load a compatible firmware, but it just hangs with a message TFTP file not found.

I cant get into the settings of the phone. None of the buttons respond.

Any ideas ?

4 Replies 4

agopala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if this is an SCCP phone, and on a regular load, you should go to settings -> option 3 -> option 32 (clear configuration). If you do not have the option to clear config, press ##*, and it will unlock the phone for you. If you have an MFG load, you will still have the option, but it will not be 32.

if this is a SIP/MGCP phone, you have to choose settings -> unlock phone (usually option 9). Then enter a password. The password by default is cisco. To reset such a phone, you have to use *6 and settings (all the buttons depressed together)

**# sorry

Unfortunately, non of the buttons on the phone seemed to respond. Its an SCCP phone, and nothing would happen on pressing the settings button.

The phone seemed completely hung/locked.

I finally solved the problem by uploading a higher version load onto the call manager, and changing the existing value of the default load for 7960 to the new file. (Also deleted the .cnf file for the phone in the process)

After that, the phone picked up the new load and worked fine. I then reverted back to my previous load on the CM, and then set the offending phones load, back to the same as all the rest.

Yes, that's pretty reasonable.

There is an other hint: hold the # button while powering up the phone, and when the display comes alive enter 123456789*0# and say no (2) to save network config.

This is a factory reset, forcing the phone to forget everything.

BR

szge