cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accidental 911

amylinit
Level 1
Level 1

We use 9 as our outside line button and have recently had a rash of accidental 911 calls. I think it is occurring when people are trying to make a long distance call, they accidentally put in an extra 1 before the area code. They quickly hang-up realizing their mistake without notifying 911 that there was a mistake, next thing we know the police are at the door.

- We've already tried the training route, either people are not listening or don't understand.

- I don't think removing the safety feature of not requiring the 9 for 911 calls is a good idea for our environment.

- I have the CER software on order, but I don't think I can get it going anytime soon.

- That leaves changing the "outside line number" to something else, if I go to 8 I need to move some extensions around (pain), I could use 3 or 5 (both sound very odd to me as outside line numbers).

- I could use 99, that would probably solve the problem but seems a bit strange.

Does anyone know if there is an "Outgoing Line" option for any of the softkeys in lieu of using a number? Our old phone system had a big Outgoing button and I don't think we ever had a 911 mishap.

Anyone else have problems with accidental 911 calls? What have you done about it?

- Jim

1 Reply 1

tringwelski_2
Level 1
Level 1

Jim,

Yes this seems to be a common problem, mainly due to the fact that 911 in your route patterns is sent directly to pstn. I have noticed at all Cisco offices, above each public IP phone, the MEMO is posted "You must dial 9 911" and the address is also listed below the phone.

I am also working on an XML application which will display your address info and other pertiant info stating you "911" call was sent to pstn to display on 7940/60s.

Bottom line, you must train users for the process, if you need to keep the "911" route pattern, you may want to translate that to your operator, and route "9911" to pstn.

Another user created a perl script which monitors the router gateway for 911 calls and generates email and notices stating who called dn, time, duration and location of the call. pretty cool script which is called from CiscoWorks.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Todd