cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Active Directory and Unity 4.0(2)

markl
Level 1
Level 1

We recently had a server failure in our AD strcture (not a network issue as we have a distributed AD structure) and this has led to a problem with importing subscribers from Exchange into Unity. When unity was installed it has selected a "default domain controller" and this value is set in the registry. In our case this was the controller that suffered the AD failure and whilst the server is offline there are numerous errors on the Unity box -

Skipping synchronization cycle due to error connecting to domain controller. Ensure that the server is accessible and is configured as a domain controller.

Diagnostic Info:

Domain: aaa.com

Domain Controller: server.aaa.com

Binding String: LDAP://server.aaa.com:389/ROOTDSE

Error Code: ERROR_DS_SERVER_DOWN

Description: The server is not operational.

Changing the registry value to another AD server fixes the problem.

My question is - can Unity be configured to failover btween multiple AD servers to protect against this situation ?? Granted I can edit the registry in the odd case that an AD failure occurs, but as with any other AD client on the network, why will Unity not look to another AD server dynamically ???

Thanks in advance

Mark Lapins

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Defect CSCdw14838 covers this issue. At this point it is totally manual to fail it over.

The issue comes up very often and we have decussed resolution in depth. I'll ping the product manager and see if we can get this addressed in 4.0(4).

If you have a case open with TAC please make sure they attach it to this defect.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith.

Odd situation when the core of AD is about distributed service. Good to know that it is being examined though

MArk

At this point it looks like it will be added to 4.0(4).