cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Exchange 2000 to Existing Exchange 5.5

bmcdonald
Level 1
Level 1

Existing Environment: Unity 3.1(5) with CM 3.2 with Win2K AD native mode wiht one Exchange 5.5 server and one Unity server.

We will be adding Exchange 2000 and joining to existing Exchange 5.5 server.

What are the required steps to point Unity server to Win2K DC?

I understand that we will:

1. Expand the Schema using the Unity tool so that all the Unity fields are added to AD

2. Run the Confirguration Tool to re-establish the configuration as a Win2k and Exchange 2K/ 5.5.

Is there anything else?

Is there any harm is leaving Unity pointed to the 5.5 server until all mailboxes are moved? (yes, we will have ADC running)

6 Replies 6

Yes, I have this information already. I'll describe the scenario in more detail.

1. We have a production environment now of Win2K AD (native mode)

2. Unity 3.1(5) connected to Exchange5.5

I want to add Exchange 2000 by joining it to the existing 5.5 server.

I'm looking for confirmation on taking the following steps:

1. run ADSCHEMASETUP.EXE to update AD to include Unity schema entries

2. Re-run the "Configuration Setup icon" using the Unity "Installation" account or Exchange Service account to point the Unity server to AD and Exchange 2000.

My further questions are:

1. What if I do not run the Configuration Setup icon again and leave the Unity server pointing to the 5.5 server? I will have a two-way ADC in place.

This section from the installation guide has the steps you need to connect Unity up in a mixed 55/2K environment:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#xtocid64

You have to fiddle in the registry a bit to make it fly, not just uninstall Configuration setup and rerun it. The above link will cover the details.

No, you cannot leave Unity connected to the 5.5 system in a mixed environement. If you want support for users on 2K and 55 on one box, Unity must be integrated with AD, not the Exchange 5.5 directory which means we have to be pointed at a E2K server.

We recently upgraded our WinNT4 environment to Win2K-AD (native mode). We have

an existing production Unity 3.1(5) server that talks to an Exchange 5.5-sp4

server. We want to add and Exchange 2000 server to our current Exchange 5.5

server and transition our mailboxes over using mailbox move. We expect to

coexist in this environment for about 2-4 weeks.

When the Exchange 2000 server is installed and joined to the 5.5 server, it

will be installed using the existing Exchange 5.5 Service Account which is a

member of Domain, Enterprise and Schema Admins.

Here are my proposed steps (all to be done using the privileged Service-5.5-

Account):

1. install ADC

2. run forestprep domainprep

3. install E2k on new server

4. run ADSchemaSetup for Unity AD schema entries

5. create two-way Connection Agreements for Recipients and DL’s

6. adjust permissions on Exchange 2000 server to ensure that Service-5.5-

Account has Full-Admin privileges (can open all mailboxes)

7. Install Exchange 2000 System Administrator program only on Unity Server

Schedule Downtime for the Unity Server

1. stop unity services

2. disconnect the Unity Server from the 5.5 server as per:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst3

1/inst_025.htm#94080

3. configure Unity following the Exchange 2000 instructions as per:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst3

1/inst_020.htm#12899

Is this correct??

this looks good... in step 5 then you're going to use the recipient container (which has the DL container under it) as the connection point? That's cool... I prefer the two way connection agreements to be at the most specific container possible instead of at the site if you can do that.

Two Questions:

Question #1:

When I disconnect the 5.5 server using the procedure outlined in:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_025.htm#94080

This looks like it will remove the Unity Configuration program. How then, will I be able to run it again? Does this program need to be re-installed? ... or .... when Unity restarts does the shortcut get re-enabled?

Question #2:

What happens when Unity Configuration is run again and it creates new mailboxes for the system ... Unity_E2KServer ... does it still use Unity_55Server?