cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager Trace Information

ksnyder2k
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of a document that actually shows how to read a trace output from a CallManager like a CCM trace? I have found several documents explaining how to configure trace and send it into TAC but I can't find anything that explains how to read the different traces. Please advise.

-Ken

8 Replies 8

s.jankowski
Level 4
Level 4

I think the trace is more critical info for the Cisco dev engineers. I haven’t seen anything published.

I couldn't agree more but the new CIPT exam covers these trace files in great detail. I can't find anything that explains how to read the CCM trace dumps.

-Ken

Ken,

That exam was really a nightmare,you get about 10 questions about trace dumps! Some useful information about traces you can find in Cisco CallManager Fundamentals book, but they dont explain how to read them though...Hope you will find something better! I just was lucky to pass without that..:)

Good luck

Marina

JoshMiller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ken,

Although I can't give much information on details of reading trace files (other than lots and lots of time) I will say that you may want to check out a program called TextPad. I was able to create a macro in it pretty easily that eliminates a lot of the trace file junk (keepalives, etc.) If nothing else, it cuts the file size down.

I'm looking for a way to identify a call from "cradle to grave". If I know a call failed transferring from extension B to extension A, I want to know what happened to get the call to extension B. Does anyone have tips on this?

rbewlay
Level 1
Level 1

You might find this link of help in understanding the trace files:

www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ip_tele/solution/6_operat.htm#xtocid74

Rory

rahassan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Troubleshooting Cisco IP telephony

By Paul Giralt, Addis Hallmark, Anne Smith

has very helpfull information about trace reading especially for bigginners, it is also available in Google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YcCjKsssklIC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=call+manager+trace+reading&source=bl&ots=ZW5_hvNFGA&sig=22rtALJZjQFfe9JrHjgAB_GgtRU&hl=en&ei=4qT3TLfTDsuYOs_I3YwI&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=cal...

Raed Hassan

rahassan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Checkout this document for how to read H323  calls in Call Manager SDI traces:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-11779

cnuche
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The 'Troubleshooting Cisco IP telephony' book by Paul Giralt, Addis Hallmark, Anne Smith is very useful, and the best way to learn this is by getting sample traces, from a lab, if your lab works fine take a trace from each type of connection, ip phone to ip phone, ip phone to pstn, moh, conference, etc, that way you will get a clean trace of each scenario that you can use as a reference for troubleshooting, also if you use the cisco app for trace analisys that integrates with the RTMT you will see what each line and code means.

Christian Nuche

PDI HD