cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager v3.3(4)

brutus_27
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to IP Telephony and Call Manager. I am looking into buying CallManager v3.3 (4) and am wanting to know if it is sufficent to work with Cisco Ip phones 7905 's and 7910. Also is this a basic version of CallManager and is it really easy to learn how to use? Any info would be greatly apreciated thanks.

Zeb-

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, 7905 and 7910 phones will work with CallManager 3.3(4). For more questions like this take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/ccmcomp.htm

It is the Cisco Compatability Matrix. A very useful tool has you dip your toes in the IP Telephony tool.

While there are 2 different versions of CallManager, those being CAllManager and CallManager Express I am not sure that is what you are looking for. CallManager Express (CME) is a scaled down version of CallManager (sortof) but it is the closest thing to a basic version of CallManager.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

thomas1
Level 2
Level 2

I would check into purchasing CCM v4.1.3 instead of 3.3.4 (assuming you have the budget for it). Version 4.1.3 is the latest and it's about three or for versions above 3.3.4. There are some better features with 4.1.3. For example, you can't add a person on line two into a conference call on line line on 3.3.4. Our customers complain about this. Version 4.1.3 has the ability.

I would stay away from using IBM servers too. We use HP with no problems. We bought some IBM's to migrate the production environment onto, but we've had nothing but problems.

As for "easy to learn", it depends on many factors. It helps to have a telephony/telecommunications background. It helps to know the Windows server environment even though you don't support it like a windows server (always support it the way Cisco says!). In other words, don't let your server team get their paws on it. :)

It's also helpful to understand networking concepts like layers 1, 2, and 3 of the OSI model. This comes in handy when troubleshooting why a phone won't register.

There is a really good Cisco Press book I recommend. Best Practices for IP Telephony (I can't remember the exact title) We use the Best Practices book on a routine basis. It provides tips on locking the phone switch down against toll fraud internally and externally. Which reminds me...

The one thing that is crucial to understand with IP Telephony is everything related to the "Route Plan". This includes understanding the relationship of the following components: Calling Search Spaces, Routing Partitions, Translation Patterns, Route Patterns, Route Filters, Route Groups, and Route Lists. It becomes even more important to understand their relationships if you are supporting multiple locations on a centralized cluster.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Any specific reasons why you are not looking for 4.x ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I am completely new to IP Telephony; I am in my senior year and trying to learn this technology. I am considering trying to buy or acquire Call manager. I Just don’t know hardly anything about it. I have experience with Win2k servers and Cisco experience up to CCNP 7. Is there a site that you know of which is for newbie’s, which has a step by step process? Any info would be awesome, thanks for the help.

Zeb-