Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I downgrade firmware on a 7912

shahedvoicerite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the latest signed load on a 7912.

Can I downgrade it ?

I did manage to do it accidently, by pressing some key combinations on the phone, which cause the phone LCD to blank out, but would rather do it the prescribed way.

I have read that its not possible to downgrade from a signed load, but since I did manage to do it accidently, I am sure its possible.

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can downgrade the firmware, just not to an unsigned load. You can downgrade the firmware on a single phone by populating the Phone Load Name field in phone configuration or you can downgrade all phones of a given type by changing the Load Information field for that phone type in Device Defaults.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Yes, I am aware that you can downgrade from signed to signed.

I however managed to completely wipe out a 7912, and get it to a state where the LCD blanked out, and the hold and config lights where steady red/green.

The phone had a signed firmware earlier.

Its probably because I interrupted a firmware load by pressing some key combination, but am not sure exactly what I pressed :-(

One thing that did happen, was the phone started ringing at one point, flashed a message saying "Upgrade sucesful" and then got into this "locked" state.

Perhaps I hit upon some unsupported "feature" (?)

I was then able to load an unsigned firmware onto it.

I had to however rename the unsigned firmware file from CP 7912xxxSCCPXXX.zup to cp7912r.zup in order for the phone to download it via tftp.

Thanks

Shahed.

Hi Shahed,

Please allow me to interrupt you here, i got a question.

After upgrading my Cisco 7912 IP Phones, arround 5 IP Phones get to a state where the LCD blanked out, and the hold and config lights where steady red/green. Are the Phones dead ? What happened and what is the solution ???

Please your fast reply is appreiciated.

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever fix this issue. i am having the same issue where my 7912 are "dead". if you did, could you advise on what was done?

thanks