cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I run the Call Manager Software on my Rack Mounted Server.

tayse
Level 1
Level 1

We are building flyaway satellite systems. In this system is a 1RU 1.8Ghz P4 server. Its basicaly a file server for now. I was currious if I could use it to run the Call Manager software. We will only be using 10 7940's so I dont see it as a huge load. Any information would be appreciated.

9 Replies 9

s.jankowski
Level 4
Level 4

Call Manager is only supported on the Cisco Media Convergence Server (MCS) and the Integrated Communications Server (ICS-7750)

Call Manager is supported on the MCS/ICS servers and on Cisco approved servers configured as listed at: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/largeent/avvid/products/infrastructure.html

paul.harrison
Level 4
Level 4

OK, so Call Manager is only supported on certain platforms Blah..Blah..Blah.

If you know a little bit about Win2K server then you can hack the registry and get call manager loaded onto anything. OK Cisco will not support it, but for 10 phones I'm guessing the telephony is not the biggest part of your project and provided you do plenty of testing of your own before shipping the kit I reckon you would get away with it.

From Cisco's point of view they don't care where you get the hardware from, they can't otherwise they wouldn't sell you just the software.

I know you can do it as I've got it running on a Celeron 333 with 256MB and 4GbHD, it worked well for a small number of phones.

I'm sure many others here have seen Cisco SE's running round with CM on a laptop, How? because it's easy.

Paul

Be careful here. This may or may not work in a pinch for demo purposes. However you will likely run into problems if you try to call the TAC to get support on an unknown hardware platform. Cisco selected the MCS (and ICS) platforms, and the "known-config" Compaq and IBM servers for a reason.

Did I miss something here? Can someone please tell me what the "registry hacks" are to get Call Manager to install?

I would also like to know how to get the CM software to install on an unsupported hardware platform for testing purposes. I can not mess around too much with our live system and would love to get another one running to test new releases and different integrations like Active Directory.

Thank you

steve

jorchard
Level 1
Level 1

We are actively setting up a VoIP pre-production environment to test new versions, services, processes, and configurations before rolling them out to the production network. We will be using unsupported hardware to do this and could really use any tips surrounding Reg Hacks and the like to help us get it up and running. My email address is:

roharvey@flemingc.on.ca

I appreciate any help that any of you can pass along regarding this.

asapun
Level 1
Level 1

Call Manager is not supported in any other server but the MCS series.

If I were you I would not waste my time and try installing it on a regular server (that's if the software lets you!), cause if somehow you manage to install it, eventualy you're going to run in numerous problems.

We aren't as worried about supported hardware in our test lab, because we would sooner buy Callmanager and run it on one of our more than capable test servers than spend a couple thousand dollars on a new server. Keep in mind that this is for non-production testing, so support is not really an issue.

This is tricky business,, If you are going to run your phonesystem based on Cisco Call Manager, stick to the recommended hardware. You are going to be SO sorry, when things stop working, and everybody is yelling at you. Trust me people are not as forgiving about phoneservices as they are about network issues.

Installing Call Manager on unsupported hardware is just about adding a parameter to the install command, Its been a while but recall it as being:

stiStage /o