cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM Subscriber and Publisher

ANGELO MARONGIU
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody tell me if it is possible to change a CallManager Subscriber to become Publisher (without re-installing all the software) ?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

gary.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

No I dont believe this is anyway of doing this.

Gary

electro22
Level 1
Level 1

I remember hearing of a way to do it but I can't find any documentation on it (so maybe I'm hearing things).

Anyways, why do you want to do this? I'm asking because there may be a better way than promoting a subscriber to accomplish what you're after....

-Jaret

We installed a CCM on a customer site with a MCS-7835-1000, now we need to change it with a MCS-7835-1266, so we thought to put them in cluster, but the new one (that is going to stay operational) will be the subscriber (read-only mode).

The other way is to reinstall everything from scratch (we hope not to do that).

We already tried to swap the HD from one chassis to the other but it is not working (different hardware... blue screen)

Could you suggest a better way for our issue ?

Thanks in advance

-Angelo M.

Angelo -

The best way to do that is to put the same version on CM on the 1266 and configure it as a publisher (using the exact same machine name and IP address as the current publisher). You will have to do this on an isolated network as to avoid an IP address conflict.

Then take the latest tape backup of the existing Pub and do a restore on the new Pub. Verify all the data is on the new pub (users, phones, gateways, etc). You can even have a phone register to the new pub (hard code the info on the phone because DHCP won't be running on your isolated network).

Next, power off the existing Pub and put the new Pub into production! Be aware, you may have to re-create the subscription with your existing subscriber (thats why it is very important you use the EXACT same hostname and IP address).

Check out http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/recreate_subscribe_database.html

for recreating the DB relationship

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/3_1/install/b_r311.htm

for the backup and restore procedure

-Jaret

You can swap the drive and recover from the blue screen. Boot off Win2K install. Get the RAID drivers loaded, then run the second(very important) repair option. F8 boot after the install and configure you nic. Reboot. Login. Then Service Pack it and run the CCO updates. and Voila! Restored

HTH

James

I am not sure about your suggestion, because we tried to swap the drive and let the new hardware boot up.

When it tries to start Win2K it goes in blue screen and we can only reset it.

Even if we press F8 during the beginning of Win2K start (to enter the safe mode boot) we receive a blu screen.

Can you explain better how to do that ?

Thanks in advance

Angelo