cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Network of IP Phone Model 7960 Series

diavoxcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am neophyte in setting up this type of phone and would like to use it for our VOIP project. We just purchased 2 Cisco IP Phone 7960 series for simulation and I am having difficulty configuring the Network configuration of the said model. From the manual, it said that I should see the following as the phone starts-up:

– Configuring VLAN

– Configuring IP

– Configuring CM List

– Connecting

– Registering

– Requesting Template

Then the main LCD screen displays:

– The date and time

– Primary directory number

– Soft keys on Cisco IP Phone model 7960

The problem is I am only seeing Configuring IP. And when I go to the Network Setting, the EDIT softkey is not activated eventhough I've already UNLOCK the configuration by pressing **# from the keypad. Is there anything I missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

By default, the phone tries to get an IP address via DHCP. One of the DHCP information fields contains a TFTP server, which the phone takes as the call manager IP, so it tries to download its configuration via TFTP from that address. So, unless your DHCP server is set up to point phones to your Call Manager, you have to configure the phones on your own. Specifically, you need to unlock the phone, then get into the networking settings and change the tftp server to the IP of your call manager. Save the changes, reboot the phone and that should be it.

If you use fixed IPs, you have to configure IP, netmask and tftp server in the network settings, and make sure you don't have any duplicate IPs.. the phone would still work but reboot at random points when you try to use it.

thanks..

aaronw.ca
Level 5
Level 5

If you want the phone to configure itself dynamically, then as Stephan said you need to add the TFTP option on your DHCP server. This is option 66, and you set it to your CallManager IP address (or hostname, though it is usually set as an IP address for resiliancy reasons) so that once the phone gets it's IP address it can download any firmware updates if needed, download its configuration file and then register with the CallManager.

If you do not have autoconfiguration set on the CallManager or if you have not configured the phone on CallManager yet, the phone will be unable to register with CallManager until you do so.

Also, when you unlock the network settings, the edit key only shows up for settings that you can change, so try scrolling down to the "DHCP Enabled" setting and you should be able to change that (set it to "No" if you want to configure your phone manually). Note that you cannot change IP address etc until you have disabled DHCP, which can be a problem at times.

thanks

I was able to set the IP address and the subnet mask when I disable the DHCP but I am still getting the message Congfiguring IP in the LCD instead of date and time as stated in the manual.

Do I really need the Call Manager even I already have the TFTP server? I will just use the IP Phone in my HMP application with IP Intel MediaGateway Box.

Please bear with me as the set-up is new to me.

Thanks.

The CallManager provides call control capability to the phones in SCCP mode. The TFTP server only provides firmware and various configuration data to the phones.

Perhaps the CallManager simulator might be what you are looking for? The CM simulator comes with the Cisco IP Phone SDK.