cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection between Nortel and Call Manager

jeremy.rogers
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen a couple threads about connecting a Call Manager to a Nortel system but I dont think my situation totally applies. I need to simply route calls between the two system. We are migrating users to the Call Manager and want to maintain internal dialing between the two systems. Each has their own PSTN connection so I am not worried about MWI information or anything like that. We are running an Option 81c (Rev 25.40). We were told by the PBX vendor that this doesnt support Q.Sig. I need to know if that is needed to route the calls between the two systems or if I can just set up route groups on there. We were going to set up groups on the PBX with access codes to and route groups for the numbers that are on the CM. Then On the CM side, I was going to create route patterns pointing to a specific gateway connected to the 81c. Can I connect ports on a 6608 blade to PRI cards on the 81c to do this or do I need to introduce an additional router into the mix to use as a dedicated gateway? If I do, does it require MFT-T1s or regular T1 cards for the connection between the systems?

7 Replies 7

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Can I connect ports on a 6608 blade to PRI cards on the 81c.

Yes, just make sure you configure Protocol Side and clocking correctly, if that Nortel T1 card you can use it to connect directly to the PSTN, when connecting it to the blade 6608 you are just emulating that.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeremy,

We are running the same setup, except using a 61c instead.The connection's between the Nortel(NT5D12Ax Dual PRI cards) and Cisco (6608 blade) are PRI's (using DMS100 protocol). We are also running 25.40.

For the Nortel side we use DSC (distant steering codes) to move DN's across to the CCM when people migrate (works great!) That way our users don't need to dial any access codes or know where (CCM or Nortel) the called user exists. This method has been seamless and transparent.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Rob - We are trying to do the same thing here and cannot get the link to come up. We're connecting a 2811 w/1MFT-T1 to a NT5D12aa on a 61c. Using NI2 instead of DMS100, tho. Is that messing us up? Clocking is done on the 2811 Internal, and CCM is set up as Network, whereas 61c is User.

There is no CSU on the Nortel side since we were told it was unnecessary as long as the 2811 controlled clocking.

Tried crossover cable and straight-thru; even swapped out MFT cards. Nada. Any ideas?

Hi Kelly,

I'm not on site right now so I can't check anything for you. A couple of things though, we didn't have any luck when we tried NI2 :(

Do you have the D-Channel daughterboard installed on the NT5D12? Did this thing ever come up at all and then reset? If so there is a counter on the Nortel under Load 60 that will shut out the connection after a set number of retries (default is 3 I believe. I'm also curious about the cable I do know that we had special cables made up by our provider for this connection (look into the pinouts)

Let me know,

Rob

You can use the following protocol to configure the PRI on the Nortel and Cisco: PRI DMS-100.

Also, the cable Rob mentions is a T-1 crossover cable. The transmit and receive pairs need to be flipped. A straight through cable will not work. When you try to bring up the PRI on the Nortel - what error messages are you receiving?

jwa

OK - it was the pinouts. We had everything set up according to this Cisco document, Figure A5, Table A8 - http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/sc/rel7/soln/voip13/gateway/h323appa.htm

But that doc obviously assumes something additional that is not stated. Because all started working (still using NI2 both sides) when we crossed 1/4 and 2/5.

Now we gotta get the Nortel to send calls in a more elegant fashion than what it's doing, but I'll start a new post.

One more qualifier to this. On the CM end we are 5 digit, on the Nortel end we are 4 digit. Will that be a problem with creating all the route patterns and translations to go over our gateway?