cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create Accounts or Import Accounts Only during Unity Server Configuration

lkrol
Level 1
Level 1

During Unity Server configuration wizard, it asks if one wants to create Unity subscribers by using Cisco Unity Administrator or by Importing account from AD only.

What if I want to import from AD and to be able to create Unity subscribers that exist only on Unity? For example, a voicemail box for the main company number that doesn't need an e-mail account?

Thanx in advance!

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unity will always need an account in AD even for voice mail only - we use Exchange or Domino as our mailstore and will, as such, always require an account.

You can hide the account in the directory such that it doesn't show up in anyone's email client's address book if you like - this wont cause Unity any trouble. In fact the new version of the Message Store Manager that will be releasing after the Thanksgiving break will have a way to hide users in the address book in bulk if you like (among other neat things like setting mailstore limits in Exchange 55/2K on user groups for you).

Does that mean....if I select Create Account options....I can create accounts through Unity or import them from AD. I can do both....right?

Is the new Message Store Manager going to be an update to Unity 3.1.5 or will I have to re-install.

Yeah, you can both import and create if you choose "create". I'm not sure about the message store manager question, I'll let Jeff respond. However, these types of utilities(even newer versions) usually have the exceptionally good practice of working with a few versions back from the latest released version.

A note on the Domino in this arena: at least with the initial release, imports will be the way to create new Unity subscribers; Unity will not be actually creating Domino accounts.

Message Store Manager will work with any version of Unity 3.1(1) or later running against Exchange 5.5 or Exchange 2000 (no Domino support at this point). You can check it out on it's homepage here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MSM.htm

You'll also find a training video out ther for it...