Views
Helpful
Replies

DMM 5.3 on MCS-7835H3 and DMM-FA-C210-K9 Failover

Ray Watkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are working with a customer that wants to add redundancy to their existing DMM environment. We initially deployed their solution on a MCS-7835H3-DMS server and eventually upgraded it to 5.3. Now they want to add Failover and purchased the DMM-FA-C210-K9 with DMM-FASW-52-K9 from another partner. After sitting idle for several months they have engaged us again to help them figure out a solution.

I see that 5.4 is able to run on a VM. I have the following questions.

Can I upgrade the MCS7835H3-DMS to v.5.4? Based on the 5.4 upgrade document, it appears to be supported.

• If we can upgrade the MCS7835HE-DMS to 5.4 will Failover work with the DMM-FA-C210-K9 server?

Since they already have the DMM-FA-C210-K9 server, can it be used as a VMware Host to run 5.4 virtually?

• If so, will failover work with the MCS-7835H3-DMS server running 5.4?
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jdedell12
Level 5
Level 5

Ray,

The short answer to your two questions is no.  Neither option is supported.

If you are running virtual host both the primary and failover servers must be virtual.  You can not mix types here.

Also the MCS 7835 is not supported in a failover deployment.  Only the DMM-SVR-C210-K9 as the primary server is supported per the 5.4 failover guide. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_4/dms/failover_guide/dmsfailover.pdf .  The DMM-FA-C210-K9 can be used as the standby server though.

Hope this helps

John

View solution in original post

Yes that is correct.  When deploying virtual DMMs, both DMMs must be virtual to be able to deploy a failover environment.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jdedell12
Level 5
Level 5

Ray,

The short answer to your two questions is no.  Neither option is supported.

If you are running virtual host both the primary and failover servers must be virtual.  You can not mix types here.

Also the MCS 7835 is not supported in a failover deployment.  Only the DMM-SVR-C210-K9 as the primary server is supported per the 5.4 failover guide. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_4/dms/failover_guide/dmsfailover.pdf .  The DMM-FA-C210-K9 can be used as the standby server though.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks John. Do you know if the DMM-FA-C210-K9 can be used as a ESXi Host like a typical UCS C210 server?

Ray,

That I don't know.  May want to ask your Cisco rep on that.

John

I assume Failover is supported if both appliances are running in a virtual environment.  That guide only mentioned the appliance models as being supported.

Yes that is correct.  When deploying virtual DMMs, both DMMs must be virtual to be able to deploy a failover environment.