cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange server migration

chris.mott
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 3.1.4 UM - I have a client that wants to migrate his existing Exchange2k server to a new server. Of course the existing Ex2k server is the message store for the Unity UM server. The client has mentioned that he wants to light up the new server while keeping the old server up (both running at the same time) and then migrate the user's mail store (and of course message store) onto the new server. I have scanned the Unity DiRT files and the white papers for pointers, but this seems different, as we are keeping the same Unity server, only moving the message store. The old server is "Email1" and the new server is "Email0." I know that Unity "nails up" the message store when creating or importing a new user, so I do not think that Unity itself can do this.

Which tool or tools would you suggest that we use? What would the potential procedure be? I'm thinking that DiRT could handle it, but am not sure.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are moving Unity from being connected to one E2K server to another, that's totally fine. However, make absolutely sure that the Unity system is at 3.1.5. The automated process to re-connect to another E2K server didn't work until 3.1.5.

Once at 3.1.5, you can change the connected E2K server by running \CommServer\ConfigurationSetup\Setup.exe. What I would do is get to 3.1.5, move the EAdministrator mailbox to the new E2K server, run the setup and select the new Exchange server; you can also set it up so that newly created Unity subscribers will use the new Exchange server. At that point, you can migrate other subscribers as time goes by.

Look for "Connecting Cisco Unity to a Different Exchange 2000 Server" in this link...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/rel_note/cu315rn.htm

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are moving Unity from being connected to one E2K server to another, that's totally fine. However, make absolutely sure that the Unity system is at 3.1.5. The automated process to re-connect to another E2K server didn't work until 3.1.5.

Once at 3.1.5, you can change the connected E2K server by running \CommServer\ConfigurationSetup\Setup.exe. What I would do is get to 3.1.5, move the EAdministrator mailbox to the new E2K server, run the setup and select the new Exchange server; you can also set it up so that newly created Unity subscribers will use the new Exchange server. At that point, you can migrate other subscribers as time goes by.

Look for "Connecting Cisco Unity to a Different Exchange 2000 Server" in this link...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/rel_note/cu315rn.htm