cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Faxes stuck in MTA

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We just moved LFax off a client's Unity onto a separate box and are running into some problems. The first few outgoing messages seemed to work ok, but after that it looks like everything is getting stuck in the client's Exchange server's MTA. Restarting the MTA or Unity does not seem to clear the queue. Also, I can see incoming faxes on the LFax monitor, but they do not get delivered to anyone, including the unaddressed fax box. There are no events in the Event Log and nothing else seems to be having problems. Any words of wisdom?<br><br>Craig Sixta<br>Matrix Communications<br>csixta@matrixcomm.com<br><br>Craig Sixta, MCNE, MCSE, CCNA<br>Network Engineer<br>Matrix Communications, Inc.

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Further research showed the following error on the main exchange server:

Event ID: 9318

An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality Table (LTAB) index: 4, NT/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722, Bind error 1722, Remote server Name VOICEMAIL (MAIN BASE 1 500 ) (14)

Rights seem to be sufficient and pinging works both ways. I can't remember how to do an RPC ping offhand (and it's getting to be to late for any rational thought process.) BTW. . .VOICEMAIL is the Unity. Hope this helps.

Craig Sixta, MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Network Engineer
Matrix Communications, Inc.

Not applicable

RPC errors almost always turn out to be a configuration issue with your DNS setup or something like mixing SPs between the Exchange servers in your site (you'll see a couple posts about SP3 and SP4 mixing being a no-no for this reason) or the like.

Here's an MSDN article that has a link to a bunch of troubleshooting topics on MTA issues that's a good place to start...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q247/1/33.ASP

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

It did turn out to be DNS. The Unity was pointed to an external DNS server, which was not being updated by the internal Windows 2000 DNS server that Exchange was pointed to. That solved the issue of getting them out of the MTA. However, incoming faxes are still not making it.

I have called each fax port and I do get fax tone. When a fax is sent from an external fax machine the fax monitor does show it coming in, but it doesn't make it to the intended receipient or the unadressed fax box. I am not sure what queue to look in on the fax server itself to see if it is getting stuck there, but it doesn't appear to be using the LF Gateway at all. Any ideas?

Craig Sixta, MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Network Engineer
Matrix Communications, Inc.