cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware

ajones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please someone help me....<br>I am trying to understand...I had a sales guy come to me and tell me we have a client that wants to purchase Unified messaging on the ICS 7750...Now the sales guy tells me there are no ordering numbers for Unified..only Voicemail..I read all the documentation on ciscos web site concerning the ICS 7750 and still do not understand. Isnt Licensing the object that restricts users from unified vs. Voice mail only? does anyone know if the 7750 is a special case where the hardware dictates what the licensing is?<br><br>Amy Jones<br>Senior Systems Analyst<br>AAC Associates<br>703-918-6394

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The ICS-7750 only can be sold as POV. UM is not an option at this point.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

can you tell me is it because it is not powerful enough...?

Amy Jones
Senior Systems Analyst
AAC Associates
703-918-6394

UM does not require more 'power' than POV. The decision was made by product marketing for the ICS to not support or sell UM with the initial release. It is not based off an actual software or hardware limitation.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

"The decision was made by product marketing for the ICS to not support or sell UM with the initial release."

ics7750 rel 2.1 with spe310 is not the initial release.
I am confused. In a training event at the Edison NJ office i could have sworn that for 2.1 UM could be done if the Exchange server was on the spe310 rather that on a server. I specifically recall this because my response was " ya, ok I am gonna put my Exchange store on an IDE drive /chuckles)"

as i posted earlier just out of curiousity, is there anything other than support to prevent me from either A: specifying on off chasis exchange server as the unity store or B: putting exchange 2k on the blade but configuring a connector to route the mail to the store? just in theory!! obviously i would not due this due to the fact that cisco does not support it.

Network Engineer
Crimson Technologies Inc.

Edited by unload on 4/29/02 07:01 PM.

The SPE 310 is the first to support Unity. This is the initial release of Unity on the ICS. That is why I call it the initial release. You recieved misinformation regarding UM support on the ICS. I can assure you that Unity is only supported as a standalone system. In theory there is nothing to stop you from implementing an unsupported configuration. However since no support is provided and it violates the license agreement I hope nobody would do this at a customer site.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems