Views
Helpful
Replies

How RightFax work??

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

HI all,

Is there anyone install or using RightFax with exchange now??

I have two questions:

1. If I use regular fax machine to fax to John Smith who has fax server. How the fax server to recongize that I fax to John Smith, and not someone else???? By the way, all our users have their own DID. Can we use their DID to recieve Fax??? or We need to get new block of DID for everyone in our compnay.

2. We have unified messaging 4.0 intergrate with exchange 2000. According cisco documentation, it delivers powerful unified messaging (e-mail, voice, and fax messages sent to one inbox). BUT HOW?? We still need right server and intergrate with exchange. There is nothing to do with unified messaging.

Thanks

Ken

6 Replies 6

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rightfax is a stand alone server with either IP integration or Brooktrout fax boards. (2,4,T1 card, etc)

On CallManager, you would want setup routing so that all your DID fax numbers would point to a hunt group pilot number. This pilot number points to the Rightfax server IP or analog card integration. RightFax gets the DTMF tones from CallManager answers the call and routes the fax to the appropiate Rightfax Client. Rightfax itself has an Exchange connector that will push the fax via in/out folders between Exchange and Righfax. RightFax keeps a local database of the AD users and Exchange mailboxes. You associate a DID with AD/Exchange user.

The RightFax client is loaded on the local end users machine. It shows up as print driver. I basically tell the end user, "if you can print it, you can fax it" So they have a WORD docucment or whatever it is, File/Print and select the RightFax printer, it then spawns a new window to enter in a the Fax number (any fax number) and customize a coversheet.

When Cisco says "Unified" it means that you are utilizing Exchange as the messenging hub for communications. Faxes, voicemails and emails in our Outlook or Lotus notes box. Cisco is just being the "vechicle" to get it the right place.

Let me know if you need more help. (RightFax is a great product!)

Thanks for your reply!!!

OK, I think I will go IP Intergration. So I dont need to install fax board at RightFax Server, AM I right?? Which I hopefully save money for that.

I think I just need order more DID for existing trunk (3 T1 PRI bundle together at Carrier side).

Thanks for help...

Ken

You need fax board(s) in your RightFax server regardless of how the fax calls get there. The only type of IP faxing supported is T38 fax relay.

http://www.captaris.com/support/downloads/rightfax/9/SP2_NA/FaxBoardGuide.pdf

RightFax users have a phone number, and a separate DID RightFax number. The RightFax application associates users with their numbers.

RightFax can coexist with a Call Manager without being integrated. You can connect PSTN PRIs directly to RightFax PRI boards, and do the Exchange integration. The calls would never touch your Call Manager. Users could get RightFax and Unity voicemail through Exchange.

You could also connect the RightFax PRIs to CCM gateways, and let Call Manager handle the routing to RightFax. If you have a lot of internal fax machines faxing to/from RightFax you would benefit. We do this and save a lot of LD costs by routing fax calls over the WAN. The Telco would route the RightFax DID blocks to the same PRIs as your phone calls.

You can also use a Brooktrout board for T38 fax relay, which is the only flavor of IP faxing you can do with Rightfax. This would save on CCM gateways.

Please rate helpful posts.

Double check with RightFax, but I think their software can possible use your end users DID phone number and fax number be the same.

So your setup would like this:

CallManager in a Workgroup

Rightfax server is a server in the same domain as your Exchange and AD enviroment.

If you have heavy use, I would go for the T1 Cards in the server.

You will probably have to calculate how many faxes you are receiving/sending to figure out your Erlongs. Then you can determine how many PRI's you need for Rightfax. I have always just used the existing PSTN lines, routed them through the existing PBX or cisco gateway and had a T1 Card in the server. (point about 300 DID's or more to one T1 Card, or so.. all depends)

have fun.

I am thinking about testing the same option as mentioned above, which is connecting the brooktrout card directly into a CCM gateway, thus eliminating the dedicate fax T1's.

Any one know through experience what kind of setting should be set for the gateways and brooktrout card to negotiate?

ttia

Ours use PRIs connected to routers using H323. We did experiment with 6608s and CMMs with MGCP, but found this to be the bulletproof solution. To achieve 100% reliability we needed to use fax relay internally, and fax passthrough for external RightFax. That is accomplished via dial peer matching.

This config will set the router to clock the T1, and act as the network side of the PRI D channel. The server is licensed for 8 channels.

controller T1 0/2/1

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-8,24

interface Serial0/2/1:23

no ip address

isdn switch-type primary-ni

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn map address . plan unknown type unknown

no cdp enable