cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Verify traffic path

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

How can i verify the traffic path from a 7940 phone on one end of a CM to a 7940 on the other end of another CM? Can I do a trace route from the Default gateway to the other end?

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can put a PC in the same subnet and trace from your PC to the phone. Or you can do a extended traceroute from the default gateway (router) of the first 7940 and specify the source ip address as the ip address of the interface on the router that is connected to the first 7940. (possibly through a L2 switch)

HTH

Sankar

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Aaron Dhiman
Level 2
Level 2

To verify the signaling path, you can just ping each phone from the CM.

The media path is a bit tricker. If you have not separated data and voice VLANs, you can plug a laptop into the switch port for one of the phones and ping the other phone. If you have separated voice VLANs, you would need to set the access vlan to be the same as the voice vlan, then ping across.

Now, firewalls or ACLs may still be an issue. But it's not clear what problem you are trying to address.

when a call is made, is the call coming from the CM or the phone to the end device?

So does it go, from the Phone to the CM, to the Router to the reciveing router to the CM to the phone?

Well, it depends on your model. If you are talking about phones within a single cluster, the signaling path will have the originating phone's active CallManager involved in all signaling messages to both phones, like this:

phone1-------CM---------phone2

(this would be the case even if both phones are registered to different CMs in the same cluster)

However, if you are talking about phones registered to two different clusters, then you will have two CallManagers in the signaling path, like this:

phone1-----CM1-------CM2-------phone2

HTH

Aaron

I have 2 seperate clusters. The CM default route is current pointing to the DATA VLAN and from that VLAN, if I do a trace route, the route goes across the data lines. The phone has a default gateway of the Trunk, so can I assume, the phone is sending its calls across the trunk?

Not necessarily. Once you are certain of full IP routability, then you need to double-check your dial-plan. Install/Run DNA and type in the number you want to dial and ensure it hits your trunk in both directions.